WILMINGTON, MA — What if I told you you could become a Wilmington School Committee member without having to spend three months campaigning and hundreds (thousands?) of dollars?The Wilmington Board of Selectmen and Wilmington School Committee will hold a joint meeting on Monday, August 13, 2018 to fill the School Committee seat recently vacated by Peggy Kane. The meeting will take place within the Board of Selectmen’s Meeting scheduled for that evening.Per Massachusetts General Law Chapter 41, Section 11, the remaining six School Committee members and the five Selectmen are responsible in appointing a resident to fill Kane’s unexpired term, which is up in April 2019. The “winning” candidate would need a simple majority — affirmative votes from at least six of the eleven officials — to secure the appointment.Residents wishing to serve on the School Committee must send a letter of interest to the Town Manager’s Office (directed to Kevin A. Caira, Chairman of the Board of Selectmen, 121 Glen Road, Wilmington, MA 01887) by Friday, July 27, 2018 at 4:30pm.The Town Manager’s Office will distribute the letters to each member of the Board of Selectmen and School Committee, giving them a couple of weeks to have conversations with candidates prior to the August 13 meeting.The joint meeting was originally eyed for July 9 — the Board of Selectmen’s next regularly scheduled meeting — but multiple School Committee members would be unable to attend.Selectmen unanimously backed the process, which was outlined by Town Manager Jeff Hull after consulting with Selectmen Chair Kevin Caira and School Committee Chair Julie Broussard.Wilmington Apple has confirmed that Jesse Fennelly, the runner-up in April’s School Committee election, intends on being a candidate for the appointment.Wilmington Apple has also heard that a former School Committee member may be interested in returning to the board.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedUPDATE: ZERO Letters Of Interest Received For Vacant School Committee Seat So Far; Deadline Is July 27In “Education”Special Education PAC Chair Jo Newhouse Appointed To Wilmington School CommitteeIn “Education”BREAKING NEWS: Peggy Kane Resigns From Wilmington School CommitteeIn “Breaking News”
Christopher Barry is a candidate in the April 28 special election. (Photo/youtube.com)Ward 8 D.C. Council hopeful Marion Christopher Barry lived most of his life in the shadow of his famous father, the late Marion S. Barry Jr. However, as a candidate in the April 28 special election to serve out the remainder of his father’s term on the council, Barry makes it clear that he is his own man.“My father spent the last decade of his life preparing me to run for the Ward 8 seat on the council,” Barrysaid. “As he talked about the position, I would listen to him and get his input and perspective on a lot of things, but I do have my own views with substance on issues.”Barry grew up in eastern Washington with a father, who was the mayor of the District, and his mother, Effi Barry, a popular first lady. He candidly admits that he lived very well as the District’s “first son.”“We met all types of influential and famous people and we were invited to all types of high-level events,” Barry said. “We had the life like that until 1990 when everything flipped.”On Jan. 18, 1990 at the Vista Hotel, District Mayor Marion Barry was videotaped during a sting operation against him smoking crack with his mistress, and was arrested by the FBI. Marion S. Barry Jr. went to prison in 1991 for his role at the Vista Hotel and was released in April 1992.Barry said that when his father was no longer mayor, things changed. “It was true that our family had the trappings and the perks because my father was the mayor but it faded away when he was no longer in office,” he said. “It seemed like we had a glamorous lifestyle but we were never wealthy. We may have associated with influential people but at the end of the day we laid our head down in Southeast.”Barry, a graduate of Wilson Senior High School, attended Hampton University briefly before deciding to enter the job market. He worked odd jobs but ended up doing construction work.Barry said the construction work was physically and emotionally taxing. He also noticed that the people in the Hampton Roads area were different from Washingtonians. “The Black people seemed to have a slave mentality and when I was on a work site, it was not unusual for me or any Black person to be told ‘go unload that truck, boy’,” he said.Barry is the founder of Efficiency Contractors, named after his mother who died in 2007. Barry said that he focuses on hiring Ward 8 residents for jobs. “The people I hire to work for me want to change their lives and I want to help them,” he said. “I want to help people put their guns up and pick up tools. It really makes me feel good when young people say to me that they can’t wait until they turn 18 so they can work for me.”On the campaign trail, Barry talks about entrepreneurship, not big-box retailers, as the answer to the ward’s economic woes, and offering developers tax incentives to build affordable housing.Barry wants the city’s senior services apparatus to tailor to the needs of individuals, noting that a 55-year-old active resident doesn’t have the same needs as an ailing 80- or 90-year-old. In terms of young people, Barry wants the youth employment program his father made famous to go back to its original mission of job training and placement. “What you have now is young people doing busywork and not really learning how to get, keep and advance on a job,” he said.What Barry really wants to do is bring the residents of Ward 8 together. “There is a class divide in Ward 8,” he said. “There is a sense that professional Black people want low-income Blacks removed. That is not good because as the ward changes, those professional Blacks may be the low-income Blacks who may be pushed out.”The Rev. Anthony Motley is a longtime Ward 8 political activist and was a close political ally and friend of Marion S. Barry Jr. With all due respect to Barry, he is supporting Natalie Williams in the special election. “I have known Chris all of his life and he is a nice young man that has a lot of potential,” Motley said. He believes that Barry needs to grow as a person in order to be an effective representative of Ward 8 residents.Anthony Lorenzo Green, who serves as Barry’s advisory neighborhood commissioner, disagrees. “Christopher Barry is the right person for me and my neighbors on the city council,” Green said. “He represents the hope and the promise of the ward and he has the respect and the trust of ward residents. He is not trying to fill his father’s shoes but he wants to continue to fight for the things his father fought for.”
×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15 YouTube has revealed the 10 music artists from the U.K. who it says are the ones to watch in the coming year. The roster is headed by singer-songwriter Mahalia, and each of the “Ones to Watch” will feature on a dedicated playlist on the YouTube music app.“YouTube has a really long history of being a springboard for artists such as Ed Sheeran, Dua Lipa and Stormzy,” said Azi Eftekhari, head of music partnerships at YouTube U.K. “The YouTube Music app launched earlier this year, and we thought this was a good opportunity for us to share more widely the artists we have an eye on for 2019, and who we think are going to really shape the U.K. music scene.”Mahalia, who will release her debut album in 2019, is YouTube’s top pick of the 10 chosen artists, with the remaining nine listed in no particular order. The featured artists are already gaining traction on YouTube: Mahalia’s “Sober,” for example, has had more than 20 million views. Popular on Variety Eftekhari said the criteria for selecting the “Ones to Watch” included subscriber numbers, engagement and growth, but entailed more than just crunching the viewing numbers.“Layered on top of that, it is really us looking at, creatively, are we excited by the artist, do we think there is a buzz about them in the industry,” she said. “And also looking at the visual element of what they are doing, because all of these artists are expressing themselves through visuals as well as audio, so they are very uniquely YouTube artists.”Mahalia said she “grew up watching YouTube.” She added: “The platform has helped me grow and build a real, personal fan base in the U.K. and around the world while never compromising my creativity.”The list also includes singer-songwriters Grace Carter and Sam Fender and rappers Kojey Radical and Slowthai. The others are Octavian, L-Devine, Dermot Kennedy, Samm Henshaw and Jade Bird.
Share By: The Associated Press ORLANDO — There’s a new salvo in Orlando’s theme park wars.Universal Orlando Resort has announced that it is building a fourth theme park to be called Universal’s Epic Universe.Featuring an entertainment centre, hotels, shops, restaurants and more, the park will be located within a larger 750-acre site that nearly doubles Universal’s total available acreage in Central Florida. Its specific location will be just a few miles from the existing resort in Southwest Orange County, south of Sand Lake Road and east of Universal Boulevard.An opening date has yet to be revealed.The announcement was made Thursday at an event attended by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings, and Universal executives Tom Williams and Brian Roberts.“Our new park represents the single-largest investment Comcast NBCUniversal has made in its theme park business and in Florida overall,” said Roberts, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Comcast Corporation. “It reflects the tremendous excitement we have for the future of our theme park business and for our entire company’s future in Florida.”More news: Air Canada’s global sales update includes Managing Director, Canada & USA SalesWilliams, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer for Universal Parks & Resorts, added: “Our vision for Epic Universe is historic. It will build on everything we have done and become the most immersive and innovative theme park we have ever created. It is an investment in our business, our industry, our team members and our community.”Mayor Demings spotlighted Universal’s role in the Kirkman Road extension, a 50/50 public-private project that when finished will add a 1.7-mile, north-south artery between Carrier Drive on the north to Universal Boulevard on the south. Universal is investing US$160 million to extend Kirkman into the area where the new park will be located.“The investment Universal is making in our community and the benefit all of us will see is substantial,” said Demings. “This will benefit nearly every segment of our economy, from tourism to high-tech.”Demings added that the Kirkman extension will improve transportation and open up the entire area for additional development, including an important expansion of the Convention Center.More news: Consolidation in the cruise industry as PONANT set to acquire Paul Gauguin CruisesConstruction of the new park alone will contribute a total of $11.5 billion in direct and indirect economic benefit into the Florida economy. Universal Orlando currently employs 25,000 people and will hire an additional 14,000 team members as part of Epic Universe.Universal already operates Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, as well as the Volcano Bay water park, in Orlando. The company recently has been acquiring hundreds of acres of land near Orlando’s convention centre.Universal’s announcement comes weeks ahead of the planned opening of a Star Wars land at rival Walt Disney World. An identical land opened earlier this summer at sister park Disneyland in California.Earlier this summer, Universal also debuted a new ride based on the Harry Potter property, which had fans waiting for hours to ride it.More details about Epic Universe will be revealed over time. << Previous PostNext Post >> Thursday, August 1, 2019 Tags: Orlando, Theme Parks & Attractions It’s coming: Universal confirms fourth new theme park