Springboks to face strong World XV

first_img8 April 2013The Springboks will kick off their 2014 season against a World XV, to be coached by former Springbok coach Nick Mallett, at Newlands in Cape Town on 7 June, with the opposition set to be loaded with stars from both the southern and northern hemispheres.All Black legend Carl Hayman and Springbok World Cup winner, BJ Botha, have been named as front rankers in the first release of confirmed participants named by the organisers.The backline will feature outstanding Wallaby talents in James O’Connor, Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell, as well as All Black Hosea Gear in a team that has so far been drawn from five nations.France will be represented by stylish eighthman Julien Bonnaire and inside back François Trinh-Duc, while Toulon-based England backrower Steffon Armitage is part of a Six Nations triumvirate so far named.‘Unique opportunity’“This is an almost unique opportunity to see an international team playing in South Africa with the freedom of not needing a certain result,” said Jurie Roux, the CEO of the South African Rugby Union (Saru).“We’ve all watched on TV those festival-style games in the European winter, where great players combine their talents to produce some stunning rugby and provide a real challenge to the Sanzar nations on tour. We’ve now got one of those games on our doorstep.“We’re very excited about the players who will be turning out against the Boks at Newlands and we’ll be releasing a lot more big names in due course.”TicketsRoux said that Western Province season ticket holders had the option of purchasing their seat for the match between Monday, 7 April, and 7 May. Tickets for the match – priced at R250 and R350 – went on sale on Monday from Postnet outlets nationwide, the Western Province ticket office and online from www.ticketpros.co.za.The match against the World XV is the start of the 18-match countdown that coach Heyneke Meyer has in which to prepare the Springbok team for the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England.The Springboks will play 14 matches in 2014 before a shortened, four-match Castle Lager Rugby Championship in 2015, which will provide a final “warm-up” before the team departs for the World Cup next year.‘A challenge’“It’s always a challenge for the Springbok coach to prepare a team for the first test of the year as the squad only assembles in the week of the test,” said Meyer. “There are certain goals I have set for the team this year and the match against the Samsung-sponsored World XV, is the ideal opportunity to start putting those plans in place.“We enjoyed a relatively successful 2013, but we’ll be looking to step up a gear from the first minute of the first match of the year.”SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

GetJar Well-Positioned to be the “HTML5 Mobile Web App Store”

first_imgWhy IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Tags:#apps#marketing#mobile#Op-Ed#Trends sarah perez Do GetJar Launches Translate to Big Numbers?Angry Birds, of course, performed well, when launched on GetJar: 1 million downloads in 24 hours. However, Angry Birds was already a well-known brand at launch. What’s interesting is in seeing how lesser-known publishers have fared when launching with GetJar.For example:An app called Race Driver: Grid from Codemasters was able to reach 500,000 in 2 weeks thanks to its promotion.Stranded: Mysteries of Time (premium game, given away free) reached 180,00 downloads in 2 weeksBrain Genius 2 (another premium game giveaway) reached 120,00 downloads in 2 weeksSalvation Army’s app reached 65,000 downloads in less than a weekAnd Mafia Wars? The HTML5 Web application that launched only 3 days ago? It already has 115,000 downloads as of today. When an app launches exclusively on GetJar, the developer has an edge prior to launching in another app store because the application already has a good-sized install base. That means they’ll have a better shot at having their app promoted in the official mobile app store for a given platform.Plus, for mobile Web developers, it’s an opportunity to drive downloads to an app that doesn’t otherwise have an official app store of its own where it can get noticed.Does Building for Web Fit Your Mobile Strategy?All that being said, developers considering building a mobile Web application need to consider the idea carefully before doing so. Although GetJar can help with a publisher’s marketing efforts, it has to make sense with a publisher’s overall mobile strategy. If an app requires a deep, native experience with a particular platform to work best, then a mobile Web app would be a no-go. But if a developer is looking for reach, there’s no better platform than the Web.Other Web app stores like Google’s Chrome Web Store and Mozilla’s open app store focus on apps that run in browsers, but that aren’t (necessarily) designed for the best mobile experience. Earlier this year, we also tried out OpenAppMkt, a Web-based app store (also available as a mobile app) that serves as a place to find other browser-based mobile apps. But it doesn’t have the reach of GetJar, currently the world’s second largest app store in terms of downloads.Assuming that developers will soon turn to HTML5 as the mobile platform landscape becomes increasingly diverse, GetJar seems an ideal launching grounds for those mobile Web-based apps going forward.center_img Related Posts This week, GetJar teamed up with Zynga to announce the debut of new mobile games: Mafia Wars and Zynga Poker. Mafia Wars, already a familiar name to Facebook users, is a GetJar exclusive, meaning it’s being launched first on the GetJar.com website prior to any other app store. Zynga Poker is an Android-only offering.The announcement of new games, however, is only mildly interesting. What’s really notable about this news, at least in our opinion, is that Mafia Wars is an HTML5-powered, browser-based game. And its exclusive launch on GetJar points towards the possibility that this third-party app store could soon serve as a worthy launchpad for many more HTML5 mobile Web applications in the near future.GetJar a Launchpad for HTML5 Mobile Web Apps?GetJar, to be clear, is not just a site featuring only mobile Web apps. It’s an independently run third-party app store which offers apps across multiple platforms including iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, Symbian, Windows Mobile and others. But it’s also one of the only major outlets where Web developers can promote their apps alongside native apps, with no real distinction to the end user. Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement Mobile Web developers can add their apps to GetJar just the same as any other native app developer can – they upload an icon and screenshots, fill out the name and description details, add the URL, etc. When an end user installs the app on their device, it appears on the homescreen, like any native application would. Not only does this provide a place for Web developers to promote their HTML5-enabled mobile applications in addition to or as an alternative to a native smartphone app, it also lets Web developers reach an often overlooked segment of the market – the three-quarters of the population who don’t own smartphones. Among that group, many have capable Web browsers, but lack an app store of their own, like iTunes or the Android Market.Also Helpful: Marketing AssistanceThere’s another aspect to GetJar that makes it a worthwhile place for a Web developer to launch – and that’s its GetJar Plus offering. “Plus” is a special category of apps on GetJar, where “best of breed” apps are featured, and where there’s some element of exclusivity. What that means exactly, is defined loosely for now. It can be an app where, like Mafia Wars, it’s promoted exclusively on GetJar for a limited time, it can be a promotion for a publisher that is doing a lot of marketing with GetJar, or it can be something else entirely.At present, GetJar is reaching out to publishers, both big and small, to offer them this opportunity. Some previously launched “Plus” apps have included an Angry Birds exclusive and one for the Salvation Army, to name of couple of the more recognizable offerings.last_img read more

NBA reviewing sexual assault allegations against Mark Cuban

first_imgLOOK: Iya Villania meets ‘Jumanji: The Next Level’ cast in Mexico John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding MOST READ NBA says 3 calls hurt Heat in overtime loss at Washington The Portland weekly’s report included a transcript of Cuban’s phone conversation with a police detective, with the Dallas owner strongly denying the claim while expressing concern that he would have difficulty defending himself in court.In the SI report, former Mavericks CEO Terdema Ussery was accused of making sexually suggestive remarks to several women. Ussery was investigated by the team over similar claims in 1998, two years before Cuban bought the team. He worked for Cuban for 15 years.Cuban told SI that he fired human resources director Buddy Pittman after learning details of the magazine’s report, which included claims that superiors were seen as unresponsive to complaints.The SI report said team website reporter Earl Sneed was twice accused of domestic assault while working for the Mavericks, including a guilty plea in a case that was dismissed when he met the conditions of the agreement. Sneed also was fired.ADVERTISEMENT Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university PLAY LIST 01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Read Next View comments “The NBA league office is reviewing the 2011 allegations against Mark Cuban and the subsequent findings from the Portland police investigation,” Bass said.The report Tuesday in the Willamette Week came about a week and half after a Sports Illustrated account that portrayed a hostile work environment for women in the front office of the Mavericks. While Cuban wasn’t implicated, the SI report raised questions about what he knew and when.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutCuban flatly denied the woman’s allegations and provided a prosecutors’ report detailing the decision not to file charges.Prosecutors wrote that “there is no evidence to corroborate the complainant’s statement and there is evidence contradicting the claim.” The report also said the woman didn’t want to proceed with the allegation.center_img Families in US enclave in north Mexico hold sad Thanksgiving Typhoon ‘Tisoy’ threatens Games FILE – In this Monday, Feb. 26, 2018, file photo, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban stands on stage before a news conference in Dallas. Cuban is denying a 2011 allegation of sexual assault after a weekly alternative newspaper in Oregon published details of a case that prosecutors didn’t pursue, saying they didn’t believe there was evidence to support the claim. (AP Photo/Ron Jenkins, File)DALLAS — The NBA is reviewing 2011 allegations of sexual assault against Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and the investigation that led to a decision by prosecutors not to pursue the case.League spokesman Mike Bass said Wednesday the NBA was looking into the matter, a day after a weekly alternative newspaper in Portland, Oregon, reported a woman’s claim that Cuban put his hands down her pants and touched her inappropriately while they were taking a photo at a Portland nightclub.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Pussycat Dolls set for reunion tour after 10-year hiatus Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Google honors food scientist, banana ketchup inventor and war hero Maria Orosalast_img read more