(Click here, if you are unable to view this photo gallery your mobile device.)SANTA CLARA — By rights, they should have been at their own game, the one they earned. The Paradise High football team finished 8-2 and was barreling toward the section playoffs before the Camp Fire torched everything they owned — their town, their homes, their season.So the 49ers offered them an escape route. The team arranged for a bus to pick up the heartbroken players in Chico and drive them to the Bay Area, …
8 April 2013The Springboks will kick off their 2014 season against a World XV, to be coached by former Springbok coach Nick Mallett, at Newlands in Cape Town on 7 June, with the opposition set to be loaded with stars from both the southern and northern hemispheres.All Black legend Carl Hayman and Springbok World Cup winner, BJ Botha, have been named as front rankers in the first release of confirmed participants named by the organisers.The backline will feature outstanding Wallaby talents in James O’Connor, Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell, as well as All Black Hosea Gear in a team that has so far been drawn from five nations.France will be represented by stylish eighthman Julien Bonnaire and inside back François Trinh-Duc, while Toulon-based England backrower Steffon Armitage is part of a Six Nations triumvirate so far named.‘Unique opportunity’“This is an almost unique opportunity to see an international team playing in South Africa with the freedom of not needing a certain result,” said Jurie Roux, the CEO of the South African Rugby Union (Saru).“We’ve all watched on TV those festival-style games in the European winter, where great players combine their talents to produce some stunning rugby and provide a real challenge to the Sanzar nations on tour. We’ve now got one of those games on our doorstep.“We’re very excited about the players who will be turning out against the Boks at Newlands and we’ll be releasing a lot more big names in due course.”TicketsRoux said that Western Province season ticket holders had the option of purchasing their seat for the match between Monday, 7 April, and 7 May. Tickets for the match – priced at R250 and R350 – went on sale on Monday from Postnet outlets nationwide, the Western Province ticket office and online from www.ticketpros.co.za.The match against the World XV is the start of the 18-match countdown that coach Heyneke Meyer has in which to prepare the Springbok team for the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England.The Springboks will play 14 matches in 2014 before a shortened, four-match Castle Lager Rugby Championship in 2015, which will provide a final “warm-up” before the team departs for the World Cup next year.‘A challenge’“It’s always a challenge for the Springbok coach to prepare a team for the first test of the year as the squad only assembles in the week of the test,” said Meyer. “There are certain goals I have set for the team this year and the match against the Samsung-sponsored World XV, is the ideal opportunity to start putting those plans in place.“We enjoyed a relatively successful 2013, but we’ll be looking to step up a gear from the first minute of the first match of the year.”SAinfo reporter
Safe and Sound Go Beyond the Webinar Return to article. Long DescriptionOn January 17, 2019, our second webinar in the five-part Kids Serve Too! Series, was brought to you by the Military Families Learning Network (MFLN) and Sesame Street for Military Families (SS4MF). MFLN’s Family Development concentration area took the helm to host this particular webinar on the impact of childhood trauma and community violence.Sabrina Huda and Antonio Freitas of Sesame Workshop facilitated part two of this series and provided tons of great resources focused on preventing trauma and violence in communities, as well as shared strategies and activities to help children cope.Here are some of the highlights of this latest Kids Serve Too! Series webinar:A brief overview of Sesame Street for Military Families including the topics they cover they cover on their website.The introduction of Sesame Street in Communities, the sister site of SS4MF. Talked over the site features and topic content that they specifically focus on.Antonio and Sabrina talked about the history of Sesame Street in Communities and their mission to address childhood trauma and community violence.They went over the common signs of stress that children might exhibit after a traumatic event and ways for adults to help.They shared six strategies that families can implement to help kids cope after a traumatic event and provided resources they have on their site.Several resources and ideas on how to help children cope with trauma were included in the chat pod during our live webinar. These ideas included:Using stuffed animals and children’s books to help relay messages of understanding and comfort.Sabrina Huda shared some great activities. One of those is a video called “Give yourself a Hug.” Another is simply called “Breathe” and teaches kids how to do deep belly breathing!A final activity was shared that stressed the importance of parents taking care of themselves called “Self-Care: Digging Deep.”In case you missed it, be sure to watch our archived version of this fantastic webinar here: “Safe and Sound: Caring in Our Community.” This is part 2 in our Kids Serve Too! Series, with part 3-5 still to come! Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list for this series on the homepage here. Finally, to get caught up, here is the link to part one of the series, “Sesame Street Overview on Military Resources.”
A dam built as part of the Kumbha Ram Arya lift canal project near Malsisar town in Rajasthan’s Jhunjhunu district breached on Saturday, inundating several areas in the region.The water swept away a large number of cattles and vehicles, but no loss of life was reported. Jhunjhunu Collector Dinesh Kumar Yadav said Kakdeu village and some government offices on the outskirts of Malsisar were submerged and several houses damaged. The dam – constructed barely three months ago – had 80 million litres per day (MLD) of water in terms of supply, stored at a height of 9 metres. A portion of the dam first developed cracks and later breached. The cause of the breach was yet to be ascertained. However, the flow of the water had been diverted towards open fields away from Malsisar, Mr. Yadav said.The State government rushed the State Disaster Relief Force teams from Jaipur to Malsisar, situated 210 km away. Disaster Management and Relief Secretary Hemant Gera was monitoring the situation. The rescue teams evacuated project officials and labourers trapped inside the dam’s filter plant, control tower and administrative building.
Train service and bus services have been disrupted at some places during the Bihar bandh call by Left parties on Thursday. The Opposition parties Rashtriya Janata Dal, Congress, Hindustani Awam Morcha and others too have supported the bandh call.Supporters and workers of left parties blocked railway track in Jehanabad, Gaya, Bhojpur, Muzaffarpur, Darbhanga, Patna and Madhubani districts disrupting movement of over a dozen trains on the route. Road traffic too has been affected in Siwan, Patna, Nawada, Bhojpur, Arwal and Jehanabad districts due to bandh call. All schools in Patna have been closed and there are few vehicles plying on the road. However, no untoward incident has been reported in the State so far.Left parties have called for a Bihar bandh seeking resignation of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar over the sexual abuse of minor girls at state-run Muzaffarpur shelter home.Leader of the Opposition in Bihar Assembly Tejaswi Yadav had tweeted on Wednesday, “Against ghastly, dreadful & gruesome mass rape sponsored by Nitish Kumar, Left parties have called Bihar Bandh supported by RJD & Congress demanding CM Nitish Kumar resignation. I assure that I will compel Nitish Kumar to speak up. Chacha (uncle), get ready to walk the talk.”Earlier, Muzaffarpur-based NGO Seva Sankalp Evam Vikas Samiti was blacklisted after a social audit report conducted by the Tata Institute of Social Sciences revealed horrific details of the sexual assault on minor girls.34 of 42 girls’ medical reports had confirmed their sexual abuse. The main accused, Brajesh Thakur who was managing the affairs of the NGO has been arrested along with 10 others.The CBI is currently investigating the case following a recommendation by Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar.
Private doctors from Beed conducting uterus removal surgeries will now have to first seek permission to carry out the procedure from the civil surgeon or the taluka health officer. A circular issued by the Beed Collector Astik Kumar Pandey on April 16 has also stated that all hysterectomies by private practitioners be notified within 24 hours of the procedure and a monthly report of such surgeries should be sent to the health authorities.The circular, however, has not gone down well with doctors, who feel it will affect emergency surgeries. “A doctor is the best to decide the line of treatment. There cannot be such conditions dictated by the Collector,” said Dr. Kalyan Barmade, chairperson of the public awareness committee of the Federation of Obstetric and Gynaecological Societies of India (FOGSI). He said that FOGSI is seeking legal opinion on this with all its members.On April 9, The Hindu Business Line had reported that many women in Beed have had hysterectomies so that menstrual periods don’t hinder work.
Reacting to orders from the Chief Minister’s office, the District Magistrate of Saharanpur inspected the under-construction library in the sprawling Darul Uloom campus in Deoband on Saturday.Vikas Tyagi, zonal coordinator of the Bajrang Dal, had made a complaint to the CM’s office that a helipad was being built on top of the huge structure.District Magistrate Alok Kumar had asked the administration to submit a report. Unsatisfied, he made a detailed inspection of the site with SSP Dinesh Kumar and PWD engineers. After the inspection, Mr Kumar told the media that there was no trace of a helipad on the rooftop but the university administration did not ask for permission for addition to the existing structures and building of new structures from the authorities concerned. “Action will be taken in this regard as per law,” he said. Responding to the action, Maulana Arshad Madani, national president of the Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind, said: “This is for the first time that the local administration has undertaken an inspection after a complaint, which seemed to be motivated, was lodged. We will abide by the rules and take necessary permissions in future.”