Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Conflict of schedule reason for nat’l team departure, says Daquis Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netSan Miguel may have won handily in Game 2 of the 2017 PBA Commissioner’s Cup Finals, 102-88, on Friday, but June Mar Fajardo remains wary against a motivated TNT side ahead of Game 3.“We didn’t expect this. But TNT is a strong team so we have to focus on our game plan for the next game,” he said in Filipino.ADVERTISEMENT Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide MOST READ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Though San Miguel equalized the best-of-seven series to one game apiece, Fajardo noted that there are areas of concern for the team.The biggest fault in the Beermen’s game was their lackadaisical start, where they fell to an early 17-0 hole before Arwind Santos came off the bench and spurred the rally.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“That’s one thing. We can’t start flat in the first quarter. If we could go hard, we should go hard immediately. We’re just lucky we still got the win,” he said.Fajardo, though, commended San Miguel’s defense after that forgettable six minute-stretch to open hostilities. What ‘missteps’? LATEST STORIES 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Locking down on defense after that sluggish start, the Beermen reversed the roles in the second frame, holding the KaTropa scoreless for seven minutes as they grabbed the lead and never looked back.“We had a better defense and it’s credit to my teammates,” he said. “They saw that I’m having a hard time defending TNT’s import and they helped me. Our coaching staff had a good adjustment, and kuya JayR (Reyes) and kuya Yancy (de Ocampo) taught me on how to defend the import better.”After two games, Fajardo knows the series is bound to be a chess match and San Miguel is expected to also make adjustments to be in a better position to snag the all-important Game 3 on Sunday.“We were able to adjust from what they did in Game 1, so we expect them to do the same for the next game. We’ll see what we can do more for Game 3,” he said.ADVERTISEMENT View comments
“I rather do three sets, but today (Karlovic) was playing well, and first match, too, the guy was playing really solid,” Nishikori said. “Yeah, these two matches can go, you know, I could lose these two matches. So I just need to recover well. But, I mean, it’s only two matches, so I’m not too tired yet.”Nishikori dropped to his hands and knees after winning the last three points of the tiebreaker, relieved to secure his spot.He later joked that he’d faced more aces in one match than he himself would serve in a year.“He almost had it,” Nishikori said of how close Karlovic got to victory. “One serve and it could have gone his way.”To force a fifth, Karlovic, who is 2.11 meters (6-feet-11), had served six aces in a row — two from 30-30 in the 10th game and then another four to close after breaking Nishikori’s serve to close out the fourth set.ADVERTISEMENT After missing last year’s Australian Open because of injury, Nishikori reached the fourth round at the French Open, the quarterfinals at Wimbledon and the semifinals in New York, losing to eventual champion Novak Djokovic in the last two.He reached a career-high No. 4 ranking in March, 2015 — a record for an Asian player in ATP rankings history — and his runner-up finish at the 2014 U.S. Open made him the first man from Asia to reach a Grand Slam final.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsAlready with a title in Brisbane to open 2019, he’s starting to believe he’s ready for the next step.But after twice being taken to five sets — he lost the first two sets of his opening match but won 15 of the next 17 games before Kamil Majchrzak retired while trailing 3-0 in the fifth — he’d prefer to take a direct route through the third round. He next plays Joao Sousa, who beat No. 32 Philipp Kohlschreiber 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-4. Expect the ‘best version’ of Joshua Pacio in his first ONE title defense “Never easy. Kind of frustrating if you can’t get the serve like three in a row.”After trailing 4-1 in the 10-point tiebreaker — a new addition at the Australian Open this year __ and then taking a 7-6 lead thanks to a video replay review at 6-6 — Karlovic was closing in becoming the oldest man since Ken Rosewall in 1978 to reach the third round at the Australian Open.But Nishikori stepped it up, sparking chants of “Nishi-kori, Nishi-kori” from a section of Japanese fans at Margaret Court Arena.“I had to reload in the fifth,” he said. “It was really tough. Could go both ways. I really returned well — focussed well.“We both played great tennis — and he served really well. I’ll try to carry on this confidence to the next round.”Rain showers halted play on all courts soon after Nishikori’s win, forcing organizers to close the roofs of the three main show courts.The Japanese fans were still in place after the break to watch U.S. Open champion Naomi Osaka advance with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Tamara Zidansek.Nishikori said having more Japanese fans in Australia than at any of the other majors always gave him a boost.“You can tell there is so many Japanese. And also many Asians. I’m sure I feel more comfortable playing this Grand Slam than other Grand Slam.” LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LATEST STORIES SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Japan’s Kei Nishikori celebrates after defeating Croatia’s Ivo Karlovic during their second round match at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019. (AP Photo/Andy Brownbill)MELBOURNE, Australia — Kei Nishikori wants to extend a Grand Slam sequence. He’s not making it easy at the Australian Open.Eighth-seeded Nishikori withstood 59 aces from Ivo Karlovic, and had to save three break points deep in the fifth, before beating the 39-year-old Croatian 6-3, 7-6 (6), 5-7, 5-7, 7-6 (7) to reach the third round.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss MOST READ View comments SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next
After all the doubts, it seems that the November Asiad, now less than four months away, finally means business. Last fortnight, however, it turned out that that was precisely what it didn’t mean: at the weekly meeting of the Special Organising Committee (SOC) of the Asiad, official estimates placed before,After all the doubts, it seems that the November Asiad, now less than four months away, finally means business. Last fortnight, however, it turned out that that was precisely what it didn’t mean: at the weekly meeting of the Special Organising Committee (SOC) of the Asiad, official estimates placed before the members gloomily indicated that advertising and franchise revenue from the winter jamboree was falling much short of expectations with only Rs 12 crore of the expected Rs 34 crore collected so far. Said a member of the SOC secretariat: “The selling of Appu is ending up the wrong way.”The Asiad is being touted to advertisers and franchise seekers by three set-ups. The SOC itself has already decided on various soft drink and food suppliers. It has entrusted the job of selling advertising space in the arenas to MEETCO, a Dubai-based company, which is working in India through A.K. Advertising of Bombay, whose chairman is film actor Sanjay Khan.Prahlad Bajaj and Company, also of Bombay, has been asked by the SOC to sell the right to carry the Asiad logo and mascot on commercial products. While Prahlad Bajaj has made no monetary commitment, MEETCO has to pay the SOC a minimum of Rs 5 crore. But things have not worked out quite the way the organisers would have liked them to. Neither MEETCO nor Prahlad Bajaj is willing to talk figures, but unofficial sources say that MEETCO, for its part, has sold only a tenth of the space available in the stadia.advertisementPrahlad Bajaj too has not made much headway and is grumbling about the direct deals that the SOC has made with various suppliers. As for the SOC itself, its Director of Coordination, Arun K. Gupta, also refuses to talk figures; only a few weeks earlier he had told India Today that Rs 17.5 crore had already been collected. This boastful statement, as the SOC’s own records show, is far from the truth.Little Interest: An analysis of the Rs 12 crore already collected tells its own story. The revenue from franchising the logo, mascot and gift items – beverages, food-stuffs – comes to slightly over Rs 87 lakh. Messages printed on tickets have brought in Rs 26.5 lakh. Rights for advertising, television rights and indoor advertisements add up to Rs 9.64 crore. including MEETCO’s share.Royalties from sports goods made by foreign and Indian firms put in another Rs 1 crore. Donors who gave money in the interest of sports threw in Rs 32 lakh. It is clear that the logo and the mascot have brought in a meagre amount; worse, private individuals have already begun to pirate Appu on souvenirs like T-shirts and key-chains.When the selling of Appu began, the future seemed rosy called ‘The Most Unique Advertising Opportunity This Year’, a booklet pointed out that at least 20 lakh people would watch the Games, not to mention television audiences at home and abroad. They offered a series of 18 major packages at a price of Rs 15 lakh for five prime ground sites, as well as 40 other opportunities – including balloons at Rs 5 lakh each that would float above the stadia.According to Timuchin Hasan, general manager of A.K. Advertising, it was thought that with the total advertising expenditure by private and public sector companies being Rs 196.24 crore in 1980-81, it would not be too difficult to raise Rs 3 crore, with more from overseas advertisers.As things stand, the expectations have been belied, MEETCO, said an SOC official, has so far deposited Rs 3.8 crore, “but now they seem to be hedging on the remaining Rs 1.2 crore”. MEETCO is unlikely to back out, but it is finding it rough going. Prahlad Bajaj is dogged by the fact that different business houses are paying different prices for the franchise, and this has greatly upset advertisers. Pure Drinks, makers of Campa-Cola, paid Rs 3.5 lakh, AMPRO biscuits Rs 2.2 lakh and Victor T-shirts Rs 3 lakh.The ice cream struggle had the relatively unknown Bingo brand in the lead, with the promoters asking for Rs 4.5 lakh. Another reason for the low sales is the textile strike which has crippled the otherwise high-spending industry. S. Chatterji of Prahlad Bajaj is quite honest: “We have tried hard to promote sales but the response is poor.”Scanty Exposure: The fault lies not so much with MEETCO and Prahlad Bajaj as with the Asian Games organisers. There is simply not enough exposure of the Asiad on a national basis. Appu should have been on first-name terms with the country by now – just as Misha, the Moscow Olympics mascot was in 1980 – but very few people have heard of the cheerful elephant outside the capital.advertisementSaid an SOC member: “There should have been an Asiad fever in the capital. But everyone just seems to be happy because the flyovers have opened. Outside Delhi, no one seems to be aware of the big event in November.”No wonder that unhappiness is the common denominator among the sponsors and promoters of the big event in November. The SOC puts the blame squarely on MEETCO and Prahlad Bajaj for not achieving the targets, although no one is willing to disclose the target. The truth is simple: the SOC had hoped that the promoters would sell space, the logo and the mascot and sell the Games in the bargain – a job they themselves should have done. It turned out to be a bad bargain.
Alaska leading Meralco, 28-23, early in the second quarter of their tuneup game here at Gatorade Hoops Center. #PBA pic.twitter.com/saVsPjgJk6— MG (@MarkGiongcoINQ) May 14, 2019MANILA, Philippines—Gani Lawal continued to make a good account of himself as Meralco’s reinforcement in the coming 2019 PBA Commissioner’s Cup.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsLawal scored 31 points to power Meralco past Alaska, 87-80, in a tune-up game Tuesday at Gatorade Hoops Center in Mandaluyong.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ “He (Lawal) may not be as tall or as heavy as some of the other imports but he’s very strong inside the paint and he’s a very good defensive player,” said Meralco head coach Norman Black.Lawal and Daniels got into a heated verbal exchange and had to be separated. #PBA pic.twitter.com/RIylR7czgk— MG (@MarkGiongcoINQ) May 14, 2019The year-old Lawal scored on an emphatic dunk that made it, 85-77, before following it up with a blow by against Alaska import Chris Daniels to seal the victory with 20 ticks to go.ADVERTISEMENT Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport 76ers will move on from crushing Game 7 loss with Brown View comments Both teams missed key players. The Bolts played minus Jared Dillinger and Ranidel de Ocampo while Jeron Teng and Chris Banchero sat out for the Aces.Alaska got off to a strong start but it just couldn’t sustain its play as the game went on especially with Lawal imposing his will in the second half.Daniels also had 31, 16 of which coming in the third quarter.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting The 30-year-old, 6-foot-9 Lawal delivered down the stretch, scoring the Bolts’ last six points to keep the Aces at bay. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES
There will be some familiar faces at the 28th heads of government meeting, including Bahamas Foreign Affairs Minister, Hon Fred Mitchell. Recommended for you Related Items:#magneticmedianews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp “The meeting is expected to focus on the effects on the economic climate on member states of the Caribbean Community and framework by which the Community can achieve growth and development amidst the current environment. Additionally, the issue of crime and security is top among the three broad area that are up for discussion.” Aside from the plenary sessions, during the two-day conference, DP Astwood is expected to hold bilateral talks with CARICOM Secretary-General Ambassador, Irvine LaRocque and region leaders including one with Minister Mitchell. The intercessional meetings wrap up today. #MagneticMediaNews ALERT # 2 ON POTENTIAL TROPICAL CYCLONE NINE ISSUED BY THE BAHAMAS DEPARTMENT OF METEOROLOGY THURSDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, 2019 AT 9 PM EDT Electricity Cost of Service Study among the big agenda items at September 11 Cabinet meeting Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, TCI, February 17, 2017 – Regional security is a major topic at the 28th Intercessional meeting of CARICOM being held in Georgetown, Guyana at the Marriott Hotel and the Turks and Caicos is represented with a delegation led by Border Control minister and Deputy Premier, Hon Sean Astwood. Crime, gun violence and border control are all major matters shared as concerns and challenges among regional countries. Minister Astwood, who left a couple of days ago for the meeting is hailing it as a great networking opportunity and in a media release today shared the value of the sessions to CARICOM states and their developments – both as a community and individually. The Luxury of Grace Bay in Down Town Provo