On 16 March, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called for a “regional” strategy against crime in Central America and Mexico, after meeting with the presidents of the isthmus in Guatemala. “Organized crime is not only a national phenomenon,” Ban warned, saying that progress needs to be made toward a “regional crime strategy in Central America and Mexico.” The Central American isthmus has become a very insecure region due to the activities of violent gangs and groups of traffickers moving drugs from South America to North America. Ban met in the Guatemalan capital with presidents Álvaro Colom (Guatemala), Laura Chinchilla (Costa Rica), and Porfirio Lobo (Honduras), as well as with the prime minister of Belize, Dean Barrow. Also participating in the meeting were vice presidents Juan Carlos Varela (Panama) and Rafael Alburquerque (Dominican Republic) and the foreign minister of El Salvador, Hugo Martínez. Nicaragua did not send representatives to the meeting with the UN head. Ban confirmed that the UN will participate in a meeting on Central American security to be held in Guatemala in June. The secretary-general made a forty-eight-hour visit to Guatemala to back the work of the International Commission against Impunity in Guatemala (CICIG), a body created by the UN in 2006 to support the country’s judicial system, considered corrupt and inefficient. “Stopping impunity is vital to protecting all Guatemalans from violence,” Ban said. “The United Nations will provide additional support to combat impunity and crime,” said Ban, who launched a UN fund to consolidate peace in Guatemala, fifteen years after the end of a bloody civil war. By Dialogo March 21, 2011
“Four guerrillas, who have not yet been identified, have been killed,” the Colombian Air Force said on its website while announcing information about the joint operation that the Army and Navy carried out to destroy a FARC camp in Chocó. By Dialogo June 14, 2013 The operation also led to the seizure of “nine rifles, one pistol, important material for military intelligence, and two outboard motor boats,” according to the report. Four members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) were killed during a military operation in Chocó department, authorities reported on June 12. After driving their armed struggle for 48 years, the FARC is the oldest guerrilla in Latin America, and currently has 8,000 members in its ranks. Since November, the FARC are holding peace negotiations with the government of President Juan Manuel Santos in Cuba, without a bilateral ceasefire in Colombia.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Freeport man was sentenced Monday to six to 18 years in prison for driving drunk and causing a crash that killed a 22-year-old man who was his passenger last year.Jonathan Sobrane, 38, had pleaded guilty in March at Nassau County court to vehicular homicide, assault and operating a motor vehicle while impaired by combined use of drugs or of alcohol and any drug or drugs.“It is unimaginable that drivers like Sobrane continue to risk the lives of their passengers and everyone else on our roads with such wildly reckless and dangerous behavior,” Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Singas said.Prosecutors said Sobrane was speeding up to 90 mph eastbound on the Southern State Parkway in his Acura with three passengers when he clipped a Toyota Highlander, causing the Acura to spin off the road, hit trees and uproot a light pole at 3:40 a.m. on April 17, 2016.One of his passengers, Vito Errico, was ejected from the backseat, authorities said. He was found with the light pole lying across his chest and died as a result of his injuries.His other two passengers were also injured. One, a 23-year old woman, suffered a fractured femur and massive lacerations to her head that left her skull exposed. The other, a 21-year old man, sustained a broken arm and finger.The driver, who was not injured, was arrested at the scene by New York State Police.
There may be a movie someday about Richard Montañez. I wouldn’t bet against it.If you’ve eaten a Flamin’ Hot Cheeto, you have him to thank. His story (The Hustle) is the stuff of legends.Montañez is a first-generation Mexican immigrant. He had a hard time in school and eventually dropped out. He eventually landed a job as a janitor in a Frito-Lay plant in California.Before he started, his grandfather gave him advice.“Make sure that floor shines,” the man told his grandson. “And let them know that a Montañez mopped it.”Montañez decided he was going to be the “best janitor Frito-Lay had ever seen” — and he quickly made his presence known.“Every time someone walked into a room, it would smell fresh,” he says. “I realized there’s no such thing as ‘just a janitor’ when you believe you’re going to be the best.”Montañez worked hard, learning everything he could about Frito-Lay. When he heard the CEO of Frito-Lay urge employees to act like an owner, something was triggered within him.After nearly a decade mopping floors, Montañez gathered the courage to ask one of the Frito-Lay salesmen if he could tag along and learn more about the process.They went to a convenience store in a Latino neighborhood — and while the salesman restocked inventory, Montañez made a fortuitous observation: “I saw our products on the shelves and they were all plain: Lay’s, Fritos, Ruffles,” he recalls. “And right next to these chips happened to be a shelf of Mexican spices.”In that moment, he realized that Frito-Lay had “nothing spicy or hot.”A few weeks later, Montañez stopped at a local vendor to get some elote, a Mexican “street corn” doused in chili powder, salt, cotija, lime juice, and crema fresca. Cob in hand, a “revelation” struck: What if I put chili on a Cheeto?Montañez made his own prototype spicy Cheetos, and boldly set up a meeting with Frito-Lay’s CEO.Montañez stepped into the boardroom. “Here I was,” he says, “a janitor presenting to some of the most highly qualified executives in America.”At one point during the presentation, an executive in the room interjected: “How much market share do you think you can get?”“It hit me that I had no idea what he was talking about, or what I was doing,” Montañez recalled. “I was shaking, and I damn near wanted to pass out…[but] I opened my arms and I said, ‘This much market share!’ I didn’t even know how ridiculous that looked.”The room went silent as the CEO stood up and smiled. “Ladies and gentlemen, do you realize we have an opportunity to go after this much market share?” he said, stretching out his arms.He turned to Montañez. “Put that mop away, you’re coming with us.”Today, Montañez is the VP of multicultural sales for PepsiCo America – the holding company of Frito-Lay.His story is remarkable. And I think it all boils down to his mindset.Be the best at whatever you do. Be world-class. Whether with a mop. Or as a colleague. Or as a parent. Or with a Cheeto. 17SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr,Anthony Demangone Anthony Demangone is executive vice president and chief operating officer at the National Association of Federal Credit Unions (NAFCU). Demangone oversees day-to-day operations and manages the association’s education, membership, … Web: https://www.cuinsight.com/partner/nafcu Details
Photo: Pixabay.com Smart enough. About 60 percent of the total import of tomatoes to Croatia comes from Italy and the Netherlands, and we also import more than a ton from Spain, Germany and Poland. On the other hand, about two-thirds of total tomato exports end up in Slovenia and Germany. By the way, the import of fruits and vegetables is growing from year to year, and last year we imported 25 thousand tons more than in 2017. So much about the success of our tourism. Tomato production in Croatia fell in 2018 by almost 25 percent compared to the year before. Last year we produced 30950 tons, while we ended 2017 with 41223 tons of tomatoes produced. On the other hand, say one Turkey, expects 50 million tourists this year, and strong Turkish agriculture products meet almost all the needs of both tourism and the population. Well, that is tourism, and not to encourage imports through tourism, as is the case in Croatia. In accordance with lower production, the Croatian Chamber of Commerce points out, exports also decreased, by about 30 percent. We exported 5287 tons last year, compared to 7505 tons in 2017. Imports, on the other hand, increased by five percent from 12813 tons in 2017 to 13369 tons in 2019. A kilogram of imported tomatoes last year cost an average of 0,99 euros, while for an export kilogram we received an average of five euro cents less.
As our 26th president, Roosevelt worked tirelessly to stop special interests from developing and privatizing the wild lands that he treasured, conserving more than 230 million acres by establishing 150 national forests, 51 federal bird reserves, four national game preserves, five national parks and 18 national monuments.Sportsmen have applauded Secretary Zinke for some of his Roosevelt-like actions, such as advocating for public lands adjacent to Yellowstone National Park and proposing the expansion of hunting and fishing on 10 national wildlife refuges.Yet, we will continue to hold the secretary accountable for pursuing the rollback of conservation protections on millions of acres of national monuments, scrapping collaborative habitat management plans for sage grouse, and not fighting administration proposals to cut popular public access programs like the Land and Water Conservation Fund.These actions threaten to undermine Roosevelt’s legacy, and I join back-country hunters and anglers in urging Secretary Zinke to do the right thing and stand up for our public lands.John BaroneBallston SpaMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationGuilderland girls’ soccer team hands BH-BL first league loss Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion When Ryan Zinke was nominated by the Trump administration to oversee more than 500 million acres of our American public lands as interior secretary, sportsmen had high hopes that he would be, in his words, “a Teddy Roosevelt guy.”
According to the government, seven provincial administrations and 41 cities and regencies have declared public health emergencies because of the pandemic.Mahfud added that the regulations disproved allegations that the central government and regional administrations were caught in a turf war over the handling of the disease, with many regions having imposed their owns lockdowns before Jakarta issued a decision.“We coordinate with regional administrations every day,” the minister said.Read also: Indonesia’s COVID-19 stimulus playbook explainedAlthough Mahfud claimed that the regulations were sufficient to contain the disease, he argued that civil emergency measures could still be enforced if the outbreak worsened.The 1959 State Emergency Status Law allows the government to enforce extreme measures to maintain public order if a civil emergency is declared. The measures include confiscating items deemed a threat to national security, wiretapping telephone conversations and prohibiting mass gatherings.Indonesia had recorded 1,677 confirmed cases, with 157 deaths and 103 recoveries, as of Wednesday.Topics : The government has stated will not enforce civil emergency measures after President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo announced a public health emergency and signed a government regulation (PP) to impose large-scale social restrictions to curb the spread of COVID-19.Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Minister Mahfud MD said the government would only implement procedures stipulated in the 2018 Health Quarantine Law. The public health emergency announced by the President is also intended to allow regional administrations to initiate measures stipulated in the law.The measures outlined in the law, Mahfud said, were sufficient to handle the pandemic. “Therefore, we will not implement civil emergency measures to combat COVID-19,” Mahfud said on Tuesday evening.Read also: Turf war undermines COVID-19 fight in IndonesiaJokowi signed on Tuesday Presidential Decree No. 1/2020 announcing a public health emergency for COVID-19, as well as PP No. 21/2020 to impose large-scale social restrictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19.The regulations, derived from the Health Quarantine Law, allow regional administrations to initiate regional quarantines with approval from the health minister.
“During this period,” said Elco Brinkman, supervisory chairman of APG, “Kemna has considerably increased simplicity and transparency in the investment process, and has combined this with solid returns for our customers.”He added that APG’s assets under management had increased from €200bn to €375bn under Kemna. The €375bn asset manager APG has appointed its current CIO Angelien Kemna as its new chief finance and risk officer, as of 1 September.She will succeed Peter Kok, who has held the position on a temporary basis during the past 10 months.Kemna is to be succeeded by Eduard van Gelderen, currently capital markets CIO at APG and Kemna’s co-director at APG Asset Management.Kemna has been CIO at APG for five years.
National regulation requiring disclosure of material climate risks should be a priority for the G20, according to major European and US pension funds and other institutional investors with more than $13trn (€11.5trn) in assets under management. The recommendation is one of several that the group of investors, which include the $293bn California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) and major European asset owners such as the Swedish buffer funds, €183bn Dutch asset manager PGGM and the UK’s £50bn (€68bn) Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS), have set out in a climate change-focused letter to the governments of the world’s 20 largest economies (G20).Citing the landmark agreement reached at the UN climate change conference (COP21) in Paris in December 2015, the investors said that significant investment is needed to achieve the goals of the Paris agreement and that governments “have a responsibility to work with the private sector” to ensure this is catalysed.To that end, according to the investor group, the G20 should, among other steps, “prioritise rulemaking by national financial regulators to require disclosure of material climate risks”. They cited the work being done by the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD) of the Financial Stability Board (FSB), and asked the G20 to consider the task force’s recommendations, due in December 2016, “as inputs towards any rulemaking” by national financial regulators.The TCFD is developing a framework for voluntary climate-related financial disclosure by companies, and is due to present a final report for consultation by the end of December.In their letter, the investors also called for the G20 to “support a doubling of global investment in clean energy by 2020”, saying the private sector needs policy support to achieve this goal, and for the governments to implement previously issued investor recommendations for action such as the introduction of “stable, reliable and economically meaningful carbon pricing” and the phasing out of subsidies for fossil fuels.The letter, which was co-sponsored by investor organisations such as the UN-backed Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) and the Institutional Investor Network on Climate Change (IIGCC), comes in the lead-up to a summit of G20 leaders in Hangzhou, China, in early September.The investors also want to see “green finance” on the agenda of the summit, specifically conclusions drawn by the G20’s green finance study group.“We request that the green finance agenda be taken forward by future G20 presidencies,” the letter states.It comes after the UK’s Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) earlier this week announced it has signed a letter to the G20, urging the governments to phase out fossil fuel subsidies.
Denver pauses Chick-fil-A’s bid, citing their opposition to gay marriageWTVR.com 24 August 2015The Denver City Council is taking its time deciding whether Chick-fil-A, whose CEO is opposed to gay marriage, should be allowed to open a restaurant in the Denver airport.The City Council has voted to take two weeks “to look at the policies involved” before voting on whether Chick-fil-A would be approved to fry chicken bits in the Denver International Airport.The City Council, which made its ruling last week, told CNNMoney on Monday that Denver “has been at the forefront of honoring gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender employees and their families with non-discrimination clauses and partner benefits.”The fast food chain’s opposition to gay marriage is what gave the city council “pause.”“When Denver International Airport proposed a concession with a company that had a history of funding opposition to this recognition, it was important that we as a City Council take a pause to ensure that all the policies are in place with all of the entities involved to ensure there will be no discrimination, and that benefits will be provided equally to all employees and their spouses, regardless of their sexual orientation,” said the City Council.When asked about the issue, a spokeswoman for Chick-fil-A said the company is “focused on serving great food and providing remarkable service to every single customer.”http://wtvr.com/2015/08/24/denver-pauses-chick-fil-as-bid-citing-their-opposition-to-gay-marriage/