Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The Drake University football team plays its second-to-last home game of the 2015 season on Saturday afternoon when it hosts undefeated Jacksonville.Jacksonville comes to Des Moines with a 3-0 PFL record, but is ineligible for the PFL regular-season title and automatic bid in 2015 due to league-imposed penalties. The Dolphins are coming off a non-conference win over cross-town rivals Edward Waters, 49-28. The Bulldogs enter Saturday’s contest with a 3-4 overall record and 2-2 in the PFL after falling at San Diego last week, 27-0.Drake leads the all-time series 11-3 over Jacksonville and are perfect 6-0 at home. The Dolphins won last year’s meeting, 29-14, snapping a three-game Bulldog winning streak.Drake’s defense continues to lead the squad as the team ranks third in PFL games in total defense by allowing just 280 yards per game, and are second in the conference in rushing (65.8 ypg) and sacks (14). John Hugunin leads Drake’s defense with 57 tackles, including 9.0 for a loss. The fifth-year senior linebacker leads the country with six forced fumbles and ranks sixth with two fumble recoveries. Junior defensive end Mack Marrin is one of the best pass rushers in the conference as he ranks second in the league with five sacks to go with 7.0 tackles for a loss.The Bulldogs’ offense is led by junior running back Conley Wilkins who has scored 48 of Drake’s 151 points this season and rushed for 466 yards, the second-most in PFL. Jacksonville has one of the best offenses in the PFL as it leads the league in total offense (449.5 ypg), passing (317.0 ypg) and second in scoring (29.5 ppg). JU’s offense is led by Kade Bell, who leads the PFL in passing yards (312.0 ypg) and total offense (319.3 ypg). Bell is responsible for 108 of JU’s 177 points, which ranks in 10th in the country.Print Friendly Version
Gardai in Buncrana are investigating an incident of criminal damage which occurred during last week’s climate change protest.Ground lighting and fencing was damaged at St Patrick’s Park in Buncrana while the protest was going on on September 20th.Gardai say they would like to speak to any young people attending the protest who may have witnessed anything. “Those attending the protest may have been responsible or if not they may have witnessed it,” said a Garda spokesman.Gardai investigating attack on park at climate change protest was last modified: September 24th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
“I rather do three sets, but today (Karlovic) was playing well, and first match, too, the guy was playing really solid,” Nishikori said. “Yeah, these two matches can go, you know, I could lose these two matches. So I just need to recover well. But, I mean, it’s only two matches, so I’m not too tired yet.”Nishikori dropped to his hands and knees after winning the last three points of the tiebreaker, relieved to secure his spot.He later joked that he’d faced more aces in one match than he himself would serve in a year.“He almost had it,” Nishikori said of how close Karlovic got to victory. “One serve and it could have gone his way.”To force a fifth, Karlovic, who is 2.11 meters (6-feet-11), had served six aces in a row — two from 30-30 in the 10th game and then another four to close after breaking Nishikori’s serve to close out the fourth set.ADVERTISEMENT After missing last year’s Australian Open because of injury, Nishikori reached the fourth round at the French Open, the quarterfinals at Wimbledon and the semifinals in New York, losing to eventual champion Novak Djokovic in the last two.He reached a career-high No. 4 ranking in March, 2015 — a record for an Asian player in ATP rankings history — and his runner-up finish at the 2014 U.S. Open made him the first man from Asia to reach a Grand Slam final.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsAlready with a title in Brisbane to open 2019, he’s starting to believe he’s ready for the next step.But after twice being taken to five sets — he lost the first two sets of his opening match but won 15 of the next 17 games before Kamil Majchrzak retired while trailing 3-0 in the fifth — he’d prefer to take a direct route through the third round. He next plays Joao Sousa, who beat No. 32 Philipp Kohlschreiber 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-4. Expect the ‘best version’ of Joshua Pacio in his first ONE title defense “Never easy. Kind of frustrating if you can’t get the serve like three in a row.”After trailing 4-1 in the 10-point tiebreaker — a new addition at the Australian Open this year __ and then taking a 7-6 lead thanks to a video replay review at 6-6 — Karlovic was closing in becoming the oldest man since Ken Rosewall in 1978 to reach the third round at the Australian Open.But Nishikori stepped it up, sparking chants of “Nishi-kori, Nishi-kori” from a section of Japanese fans at Margaret Court Arena.“I had to reload in the fifth,” he said. “It was really tough. Could go both ways. I really returned well — focussed well.“We both played great tennis — and he served really well. I’ll try to carry on this confidence to the next round.”Rain showers halted play on all courts soon after Nishikori’s win, forcing organizers to close the roofs of the three main show courts.The Japanese fans were still in place after the break to watch U.S. Open champion Naomi Osaka advance with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Tamara Zidansek.Nishikori said having more Japanese fans in Australia than at any of the other majors always gave him a boost.“You can tell there is so many Japanese. And also many Asians. I’m sure I feel more comfortable playing this Grand Slam than other Grand Slam.” LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion LATEST STORIES SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Japan’s Kei Nishikori celebrates after defeating Croatia’s Ivo Karlovic during their second round match at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia, Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019. (AP Photo/Andy Brownbill)MELBOURNE, Australia — Kei Nishikori wants to extend a Grand Slam sequence. He’s not making it easy at the Australian Open.Eighth-seeded Nishikori withstood 59 aces from Ivo Karlovic, and had to save three break points deep in the fifth, before beating the 39-year-old Croatian 6-3, 7-6 (6), 5-7, 5-7, 7-6 (7) to reach the third round.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss MOST READ View comments SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next
zoom The impending bankruptcy of Korea’s container carrier Hanjin Shipping should serve as a warning that carriers do have breaking points and that they will not always be rescued, shipping consultancy Drewry said.In 2009 when the container industry posted operating losses of nearly USD 20 billion and many lines were said to be minutes from bankruptcy, none died. The “zombie” carriers’ survival methods were varied and complex, ranging from off-hiring ships to requesting government support, but ultimately they worked.“Having survived the worst crisis the industry has ever faced the assumption grew in strength that major carriers could not be killed off,” Drewry said, adding that some smaller players have fallen by the wayside this decade, however, none were remotely in the same league as Hanjin Shipping, which with a containership fleet of around 100 ships and total capacity of 620,000 TEU ranks it seventh in the world.Hanjin’s move into administration shatters the complacency that major carriers are immune to failure and can stomach prolonged years of low rates and financial losses.The company was in financial trouble as its operating loss amounted to approximately USD 580 million from 2010 to the first-half 2016, with most of the damage emanating from the container division.While Hanjin’s compatriot Hyundai Merchant Marine (HMM) negotiated a debt restructuring plan, which included reduced charter rates, sale of non-core assets and reaching a deal to join 2M carriers Maersk Line and MSC in a new alliance next April, Hanjin’s self-rescue plan has not proceeded as smoothly as over at HMM.Vessel charterers, most publically Seaspan, refused to lower their rates and despite selling a number of assets the plan to sell two tranches of new shares to sister company Korean Air fell short of raising the sums expected by creditors.The lack of progress led to Hanjin’s directors calling for court receivership on August 31.“While the company is not technically bankrupt during administration it is difficult to see how the company will be able to continue trading as customers are now desperately trying to locate and find alternative ways for their goods to be delivered. It’s unlikely any would entrust their cargoes to Hanjin again,” Drewry said.Drewry added that the immediate collateral damage of Hanjin’s situation would be widespread.Ports and terminals that have recently accepted Hanjin ships and containers will not only lose a customer but might not get paid for work carried out; the same applies to container lessors, and charter shipowners, particularly Seaspan and Danaos, which were Hanjin’s biggest suppliers of non-owned ships.Furthermore, shippers unaffected by Hanjin’s situation are expected to feel a short-term shock as the reduction of capacity will inflate freight rates. Notwithstanding the general rate increases (GRIs) already in-place freight rates out of Asia surged the day after Hanjin’s announcement. The World Container Index reported that spot rates from Shanghai to Los Angeles in the US and Rotterdam in Europe, increased by 42% and 39%, respectively, on September 1 against the previous week.“Perhaps the most far-reaching consequence of Hanjin’s situation, alongside the recent defensive M&A activity, will be that all stakeholders will now finally understand that carriers cannot survive on a diet of ultra-low freight rates if they want to see healthy competition,” Drewry concluded.
WINNIPEG – A commissioner who investigated the death of a girl who died after falling through the cracks of Manitoba’s child-welfare system says he is disappointed the province still hasn’t replaced the aging computers used to track children.Ted Hughes, who led the inquiry into the 2005 death of Phoenix Sinclair, said his final report made it clear that the decades-old child and family services information network needed to be replaced “without delay.”“I know it’s expensive, but the system needs the link where everything is available, and everyone is part of the system,” Hughes said in an interview from Victoria, B.C.It’s been more than four years since the inquiry issued its final report into the death of five-year-old Phoenix, who had spend stints in foster care before being killed by her mother and stepfather. The inquiry found “protection of children requires a reliable and up-to-date information management system.”The computer network — created in 1993 and moved online in 2006 — has been plagued with problems, including issues with poor internet service, missing information on caseloads (partly because of non-compliance from some child and welfare authorities) and inaccurate data.The former NDP government announced in 2008, 2012 and again in 2014 that the system would be replaced.But the old computers are still in use. The Conservative government says it won’t consider anything new during an ongoing “transformation of child and family services,” which includes a review of applicable legislation.Daphne Penrose, Manitoba’s children’s advocate, said a new computer system is needed to adapt to changes during the child welfare overhaul.“Any computer system, even a new system, is going to have to upgrade as our province and legislation changes to respond to the differing needs of the communities and what we are seeing here in Manitoba,” she said.Any database also needs to have accurate, culturally appropriate information, she said. There are about 11,000 children in care in Manitoba and almost 90 per cent are Indigenous. The province has one of the highest apprehension rates in Canada.Child welfare in Manitoba has been criticized for years, most recently following the 2014 death of 15-year-old Tina Fontaine, whose body was found in the Red River after she ran away from a hotel where she was being housed.First Nations leaders have expressed concerns about the centralized database in the past, especially concerning what information is shared and with whom.“The current system is not working for our families,” said Cora Morgan, children’s advocate with the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs. “It is just a measurement and it’s a way for them to be able to track our families.”The province says it is meeting with Indigenous communities for ideas.Morgan said she’d like a new, separate system where information is owned, shared and monitored by First Nations. Currently, families that are listed can’t see what’s there or challenge it, even though the details can have an impact on their entire lives, she said.“It’s a seriously flawed system.”
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp The President of the Old Fox Hill Scholars Association also stressed, “Fox Hill is still together. We are still one,” despite the negative media attention that Fox Hill has been receiving.By: Sydnei IsaacsPhoto Caption: Shonel Ferguson, MP for Fox Hill (centre), leads discussion on plans for this year’s October 9th ‘National Heroes Day.’(BIS Photo/Patrick Hanna) Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, October 7, 2017 – Nassau – Announcing plans for National Heroes Day, members of the Old Fox Hill Scholars Association at the Fox Hill Community Center, Wednesday afternoon, relayed that the Seventh Annual National Heroes Day Celebration will commence on Monday, October 9, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. at St. Paul’s Baptist Church.There will be a church service to commemorate selected “quiet heroes” from Fox Hill who contributed greatly to different aspects of society.Living heroes who will be honored at the service are Rev. Dr. Julia Bain, Mrs. Eugenia Thurston, Mr. Derrel Moss, Mr. Garth and Mary Ferguson, Mrs. Sylvia Rolle, Mrs. Agnes Cash- Greene, Ms. Florinda Francis, and Mr. Harry Knowles. The guest speaker at the service will be Father Hugh Bartlett.This service will be followed by a trek to St. Anne’s Anglican Church Cemetery to lay a wreath to honor fallen heroes, Mrs. Ena Morrison-Bailey, former teacher at Sandilands Primary School, and her husband Nathaniel Bailey. There will be refreshments after the “march” as the general public is invited to attend and celebrate.Present at the press conference were, Treasurer of the Old Fox Hill Scholars Association, Barbara Higgs; Member of Parliament for Fox Hill and member of the Old Fox Hill Scholars Association, Shonel Ferguson; President of the Old Fox Hill Scholars Association and Retired Nurse at the Princess Margaret Hospital, Sandra Ferguson-Rolle; and Member of the Old Fox Hill Scholars Association and one of the only living students of the former Sandilands All Age School, Elizabeth Butler.Shonel Ferguson highlighted the many special aspects of Fox Hill’s rich heritage and massive contribution both nationally and internationally. She remarked, “Communities are able to survive through so many hard-working and decent people. These are the community builders and we (Fox Hillians) know how to say, thank you.” She added that Fox Hill has been central in national recognition holidays like Emancipation Day, Fox Hill Day and, now, National Heroes Day; and that, like communities such as Gambier and Adelaide, many residents of Fox Hill can directly trace their ancestry back to slavery.