News from the courts

first_img Previous articleBig freeze sees only six remainNext articleMembers sought by musical society admin Pipe bomb accused back in courtAPPEARING via video link at a sitting of Limerick District Court, 24-year-old William O’Dwyer will reappear on January 13 next when he will be formally serviced with the book of evidence relating to drugs and explosive charges before the court.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up O’Dwyer of Richmond Court, Mount Kennett Place, was questioned by gardai after he presented himself at the station and was charged with the possession of a pipe bomb in October of last year. The gardai allegedly caught a teenage girl carrying the ‘live’ explosive device in St Mary’s Park. Inspector Gerry Horan told the court that the file had been sent to the DPP on December 22 last, and they were awaiting the directions.Judge Aeneas McCarthy noted that “time had been running” in relation to the charges and adjourned the matter for two weeks and marked the case pre-emptory against the state for production of the Book of Evidence in relation to the charge contrary to Section 4 of the Explosive Substance Act 1883. Judge McCarthy also noted that O’Dwyer be returned to court on the same date to deal with other outstanding matters before the court. O’Dwyer was remanded back in custody to Limerick Prison. Twitter WhatsApp Facebook Advertisement Print NewsLocal NewsNews from the courtsBy admin – January 7, 2010 1019 Man to be served book of evidence on robbery chargeA HANDBAG thief will be formally served with the book of evidence relating to a robbery in the city last month.Michael Power, Fairgreen, Ballysimon, who is currently serving a 10 month sentence for a handbag snatch last year, was ordered to be presented in court on January 13 by Judge Aeneas McCarthy. Power appeared via video link from Limerick Prison and, following an earlier failed application for bail, was remanded in custody on these charges.The 27-year-old is alleged to have snatched a handbag from an elderly lady at St Michael’s Church on Denmark Street, and gardai had earlier objected to the courts granting bail as under Section 2 of the Bail Act 1997. Linkedin Email Man arrested in possession of knifeA NINETEEN-year-old man appeared at Limerick District Court following his arrest on December 29 last in Limerick City, after gardai found him in possession of a knife and cannabis resin.Martin Morey, with an address of 10 Collins Avenue, was charged by garda Yohan Hunt with possession of the knife contrary to Section 9 (1) of the firearms and offensive weapons act 1990. Giving details in court, garda Hunt outlined that the accused made no reply when formally charged. The arresting officer also noted that an existing bench warrant was outstanding for the accused man in relation to Section 24 (3) of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 of giving a false or misleading name when questioned by gardai. Inspector Gerry Horan said that the state would consent to bail on the basis that a €200 cash lodgement be made. Judge Aeneas McCarthy remanded the accused in custody, with consent to bail, to appear again in court later this week. Murder accused remanded in custodyDRESSED in a blue and white tracksuit and appearing via video link to Limerick District Court, Kenneth Collopy, charged with the murder of Daniel Fitzgerald at Cloughdromin, Ballysimon, on December 8 of last year, was remanded back in to custody to Limerick Prison as the gardai finalise preparations of the Book of Evidence relating to the 24-year-old’s death. Inspector Gerry Horan sought a two week adjournment but the defence solicitor John Herbert, consented to a further 28 day remand. 19-year-old Collopy will be present in court on January 27 next when the book of evidence will be formally serviced. The accused made no reply during the three minute court sitting. last_img read more

‘Come back to us’, Countrywide’s Peter Long asks departed talent as profits sink

first_imgHome » News » Agencies & People » ‘Come back to us’, Countrywide’s Peter Long asks departed talent as profits sink previous nextAgencies & People‘Come back to us’, Countrywide’s Peter Long asks departed talent as profits sinkAs Executive Chairman reveals profits down by 45% within its sales and lettings operation he regrets “loss of talent” during Platt years.Nigel Lewis8th March 201804,187 Views Countrywide’s Executive Chairman Peter Long (pictured, above) has called for the senior figures who left the business during the Alison Platt years to return to the company as the company reveals its latest figures.Overall income reduced by 9% during 2017 and profits dropped by 23%, driven by a poorly-performing sales and lettings where profits fell by 45% from £48.4 million in 2016 to £26.4 million last year.This is a third year in a row the results from its core branch network have been poor.Countrywide’s mortgage business, which is highly dependent on its pipeline from the branches, also generated less profit last year, down from £22.7 million to £19.7 million.But one area of the business doing well is its B2B services operation. Profits increased by 13% to £35.6 million driven by surveying, and its commercial business outfit Lambert Smith Hampton.The 2017 results also reveal that although the company made an underlying profit of £19.5 million during 2017, nearly half that of 2016, it has reported a loss of £208.1 million after taking a £225.9 million hit for exception items.The company says it will not pay a dividend for 2017.In response to the figures, Countrywide says it is “going back to basics” in sales and lettings in order to reverse the decline and will be cutting costs further and managing cash flow better.This, it claims, will “lay the foundations to restore profitable growth” this year.Referring to the departure of Countrywide CEO Alison Platt and the more long-term brain-drain from the company that was a feature of her tenure at the top, Executive Chairman Peter Long says: “The under-performance of our business over the last three years has resulted in us making significant management change in the Group.“Industry expertise in all areas of our business is key. Within Sales and Lettings, the previous strategy resulted in us losing a lot of that expertise.“In the Group, we are fortunate in that we have an industry veteran, Paul Creffield (pictured, left), who has been promoted to the role of Group operations director.“His deep understanding of the market and operations means that we have quickly been able to identify what we need to do to begin addressing our under-performance.“I am greatly encouraged by the number of high calibre industry business leaders that we already have within our Sales and Lettings business and a number of similarly experienced and high calibre industry people who previously left us, and [who may] want to rejoin now that Paul is in this role.”Read more about Countrywide. Peter Long Paul Creffield Countrywide results March 8, 2018Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021last_img read more

Kobe Bryant kept out of film academy

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with PackersHad Bryant been granted membership, it may have stirred controversy, in part because of a sexual assault case brought against him in 2003, which was ultimately dropped and later the subject of a civil settlement. Kobe Bryant, who won an Oscar for best animated short for “Dear Basketball,” will not be asked to join the motion picture academy. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)HOLLYWOOD — Lakers legend Kobe Bryant will not be asked to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences even though he won an Oscar earlier this year along with director Glen Keane for the animated short film “Dear Basketball, it was reported Thursday.Under the academy’s procedures, Oscar winners and nominees are automatically considered for, though not guaranteed, membership, with the ultimate decision of who gets admitted to the group residing with the 54-member board of governors.While Bryant was recommended for membership by the short films and feature animation branch, he did not make the final cut owing to his lack of a larger body of work in the film industry, the Los Angeles Times reported.The news that Bryant was denied academy membership was first reported by the website Cartoonbrew.com. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

City of Lacey PSE Natural Gas Main Relocation Project Begins July…

first_imgFacebook0Tweet0Pin0Submitted by City of LaceyOn Monday, July 30, Puget Sound Energy (PSE) will begin a project to relocate a section of natural gas pipeline on Pacific Avenue SE near the intersection of Carpenter Road SE. PSE expects the project to take up to five weeks. Work will take place Mondays through Saturdays, from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. The City of Lacey does not anticipate any road closures; however, motorists may experience traffic delays and alternate routes are advised during project hours.While not a City of Lacey project, city officials want residents to be aware. “This is a major intersection and we want residents to know about the project so they can make alternate travel arrangements, if necessary,” said Roger Schoessel, city engineer.If you have questions about the project, contact Francisco Reyna, PSE Project Manager, at [email protected] or (888) 404-8773, and reference project #109089196.last_img read more

DONEGAL RUNNERS DO WELL IN DERRY HALF MARATHON – IN PICTURES

first_imgDONEGAL RUNNERS DO WELL IN DERRY HALF MARATHON – IN PICTURES was last modified: September 9th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Derry Half MarathonDonegal runnerslast_img