South SudanAfrica Condemning abuses Freedom of expression Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years November 7, 2019 South Sudan expels another journalist, second in two weeks Renouil told RSF that officials questioned him about his previous reporting from South Sudan and threatened him with imprisonment. South Sudan’s Media Authority had nonetheless given him the go-ahead to visit the country. South Sudan is also one of the world’s most dangerous countries for reporters. Ten journalists have been killed with complete impunity since 2013. No serious investigation has ever been carried out to identify the perpetrators and circumstances of the August 2017 murder of Christopher Allen, a freelance reporter with British and US dual nationality,. South SudanAfrica Condemning abuses Freedom of expression Reporters Without Borders (RSF) condemns the clampdown on reporting in South Sudan, which has just expelled another foreign journalist, the second in two weeks, and urges the authorities not to jeopardize implementation of a peace accord by preventing the international media from doing their job. to go further The second journalist’s expulsion has come at a critical political moment, with a unity government due to be formed on 12 November, along with the expected return of Riek Machar, the historic leader of the opposition to President Salva Kiir. “Peace and democracy cannot take hold unless the freedom to inform is guaranteed,” said Arnaud Froger, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. “By expelling foreign journalists, the South Sudanese authorities are liable to jeopardize the peace process. We urge them to end these arbitrary expulsions and to review their recent decisions, so that these two journalists, who did nothing wrong, are free to resume their reporting.” His expulsion was preceded by that of AP correspondent Sam Mednick, a Canadian reporter. Based in South Sudan for the past three years, Mednick had to leave after being notified on 23 October that her press pass had been revoked because of a story about tension in the run-up to the formation of a unity government. Crédit : France 24 The authorities have often expelled journalists since a civil war began in 2013. The Media Authority announced in June 2017 that it was refusing to issue or renew visas for 20 foreign journalists because their reporting was “unsubstantiated” or had “insulted” South Sudan. August 25, 2020 Find out more South Sudan is ranked 139th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2019 World Press Freedom Index. Organisation Online memorial and writing prize launched to mark 30th birthday of slain journalist Christopher Allen Help by sharing this information December 23, 2020 Find out more News Follow the news on South Sudan August 21, 2020 Find out more News News RSF welcomes UN Special Rapporteur’s statement calling for justice for Christopher Allen three years on Receive email alerts News French journalist Bastien Renouil, the France 24 TV news channel’s East Africa correspondent, was arrested on arrival in Juba, South Sudan’s capital, on 3 November and was expelled the next morning. RSF_en
Email THE regional president for St Vincent de Paul in the Mid West is urging the government to reconsider the proposed water charges of €4.88 per 1000 litres due to fears that it will push already struggling families over the edge.The St Vincent de Paul (SVP) organisation says the charge – one of the highest in Europe – will have serious implications for low income families.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Michael Murphy, of SVP Mid West told the Limerick Post: “What we’re beginning to see is people in lower paid employment who are really struggling and who don’t get any benefits, and yet their income might only be marginally different to people who are on social welfare.“We’ve had extra charges such as the property tax and now we’re following this with the water rates, and these people will have to pay all these charges. They are in employment so there’s no way of avoiding it.”Mr Murphy remarked that the added burden on low income households “doesn’t do anything to encourage people to be in the workforce and to pay their way”.“There are people who are just about keeping their heads above water and they are being hit with more charges. This needs to be looked at again, because it’s being brought in in a hasty manner at the moment,” he added.The SVP is now calling on the government to revise the charges, with particular regard to people on minimum wage and in low-paid employment.Mr Murphy concluded: “Examples are being given that it’s being brought in to improve the situation where we’re losing up to 50 per cent of our water through a porous water system that has been underfunded by the State and it’s just not good enough that the people are being punished and made to pay for it.“So far, all we’ve seen is the enormous cost of setting up this operation. The money is not being spent on the infrastructure.” Previous articleWaiting for Millennium midnight hourNext articleSt Michael’s Rowing Club take to Limerick’s streets John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Facebook NewsWater charges will sink workersBy John Keogh – August 7, 2014 528 Irish Water defers introduction of new business charges during the Covid 19 emergency TAGSIrish WaterSociety of St Vincent de Paul Pictures reveal damage caused by wipes being flushed down Limerick’s loos RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print Advertisement Limerick customers to benefit from extension of Irish Water’s First Fix free scheme to tackle leaks Irish Water to replace old water mains on St Nessan’s Road WhatsApp Twitter Linkedin Update: Works underway to resolve discolouration of water in Raheen area Abbeyfeale water supply gets the all clear
The new Costeria Cottages will be constructed between 12th and 13th streets off Haven Avenue in Ocean City, NJ. Eighteen new single-family homes were listed for sale this week, and the modest structures — “coastal cottages” — are part of a new concept to attract more year-round families to Ocean City.Instead of building eight duplexes (16 units) on eight vacant lots, the “coastal cottage” plan calls for small houses to share single lots — some accessed by an alley, others by the street.The properties will be constructed on a vacant tract on the 1200 block of Haven Avenue with asking prices between $499,900 and $649,900.City Council paved the way for the concept by approving a zoning change in May 2013, and the Planning Board approved the site plan in February 2014.The board sought to revitalize a block of vacant commercial properties and to test a new offering for year-round families in a town that has seen its year-round population fall as high-priced new duplexes get purchased by investors and wealthy summer residents.The new “Costeria Cottages” will be very affordable by Ocean City standards for single-family homes and will meet all new flood elevations requirements, according to Gary Jessel of Fox Real Estate, the broker for the properties.A plan for the new Costeria Cottages shows 13th Street on the left, Haven Avenue at bottom and an existing alley at top,A grassy common area — a “plaza” with a sidewalk — will separate some houses. A new alleyway parallel to 13th Street will separate others.Architect George Wray Thomas told the Planning Board earlier this year that the impervious coverage (the amount of ground covered by buildings) will be no more under the plan for 18 coastal cottages than it would be under a plan for eight duplexes.“It’s nice to see more green space around buildings,” Planning Board Chairman John Loeper said at the time.Each house will have a single-car garage for off-street parking. Living space in the homes ranges from 1,300 square feet to 1,500 square feet.The homes will be constructed on lots formerly occupied by the Car Caress car wash and Coggins Waste Management). The 42,500-square-foot area has a 370-foot frontage on Haven Avenue and 115 feet on 13th Street.A homeowner’s association has been established for joint maintenance of the common areas and alleyways.Jessel said construction on four homes will begin early in the new year and are expected to be complete by summer. New units will be built when properties are purchased. Duncan Homes At The Shore and Costanza Builders (Carmen Costanza) will be the contractors for the job.The PDFs below show the site plan, facade varieties and pricing, as well as floor plans for different units.Anybody interested in more information, can call Jessel at 877-626-5369.Download (PDF, 893KB)Download (PDF, 593KB)Download (PDF, 597KB)Download (PDF, 839KB)Download (PDF, 827KB)
London, United Kingdom | AFP | Beleaguered Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger called on his players to show they can meet the club’s standards after a second humbling 3-0 defeat at the hands of Manchester City in five days on Thursday.City moved 16 points clear at the top of the Premier League as fresh from claiming their first silverware of the Pep Guardiola era in the League Cup final on Sunday, the visitors scored three times in the opening 33 minutes as Arsenal disintegrated once more in front of a sparse crowd at the Emirates.Bernardo Silva, David Silva and Leroy Sane were on target to inflict a third straight defeat on Arsenal and leave them 10 points adrift of the Premier League top four in sixth place. The lines around the pitch were painted blue ahead of kick-off in case an expected snow shower covered the field.Unfortunately for the home fans that did brave the cold, that was the only novelty on a night of familiar failings from Wenger’s men, who have now lost seven times in 12 games this year.“Do you want the fans to be happy when you are 3-0 down? I am surprised you are surprised,” continued Wenger.“It was combination of the weather conditions and the fact we had a big disappointment on Sunday.”Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2 And a night to forget for the Gunners was complete when £56 million ($79 million) club record signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang saw his second-half penalty saved by Ederson.“You go up by stairs and come down by the lift, that is what happens with confidence,” said Wenger. “We have to show we have the level to be at Arsenal football club.”However, the Frenchman again refused to accept it is inevitable that his 22-year stay as boss is coming to a sad end. “I am confident that nothing is permanent in life,” added Wenger. “It is down to how you respond and the focus and effort you show to turn things around.”Sub-zero temperatures and the apathy caused by Arsenal’s display at Wembley on Sunday saw thousands of seats go unoccupied at the Emirates.
Image Courtesy: ReutersAdvertisement 3niy8NBA Finals | Brooklyn VsquxWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E7( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 2feWould you ever consider trying this?😱2qc8reCan your students do this? 🌚3u1phRoller skating! Powered by Firework The Italian football team and its reputation in the international level is unmatched. One of the most successful teams ever, lifting four World Cup trophies, and the 2006 team that would confuse anyone as a World XI team, the blues unfortunately lost their panache. However, the last night’s thrashing of Armenia and a smooth entry to the 2020 Euro Cup, are the former reigning champions returning to glory?Advertisement Image Courtesy: ReutersAfter a star studded squad that lifted the 2006 World Cup, they faced early exits in 2010 and 2014, and couldn’t even make it past the qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, after an embarrassing loss to Sweden.However, things have started to change for the Azures. Robert Mancini took helm in 2018, Robert Mancini. Several Serie A top tier names are on the starting 11 again, and the former manchester City gaffer is on the way to restore the team’s former glory. And with yesterday’s thrashing of Armenia, Chiellini’s leadership is proving strong.Advertisement Last night’s Group J match at the Renzo Barbera stadium in Palermo proved in favour of the hosts. The scoreboard opened up with back to back strikes from Ciro Immobile and Nicolò Zaniolo in the 8th and 9th minute. They both secured a brace, along with single goals from Nicolò Barella, Alessio Romagnoli, Federico Chiesa, Riccardo Orsolini and a penalty spot conversion from Chelsea star Jorginho. Armenia’s single consolation goal came in the 79th minute from Edgar Babayan.Italy have topped their qualifier group and will be a strong contender for the title for Euro 2020 starting 12th June next year.Advertisement Advertisement