[Cover photo via Lincolnville General Store Facebook] Last Friday night, October 27th, after a lengthy restoration and renovation process, the Lincolnville General Store was re-opened by of the small Maine town’s most well-known citizens: Phish drummer/town Board of Selectmen member Jon Fishman and his wife and town Board of Education member Briar Fishman. According to local Maine paper The Free Press, the long-awaited grand re-opening went off with a bang last weekend with a party featuring pizza fresh out of the stone oven, hot dogs and burgers, a crowd of about 600 people and, of course, live music. Local groups The Mallett Brothers and the Route 17 Ramblers provided the entertainment, with Fishman joining both groups as a special guest.Phish Drummer Jon Fishman Elected For Local Political Office In Maine HometownThe store, which was built in the mid-19th century, has been closed for almost a decade. According to a 2016 report in Penobscot Bay Pilot, Fishman and his wife, Briar, purchased the mid-19th century Lincolnville General Store in 2011, but wound up selling it to another family to focus on the upkeep of their making their local farm. After the buyers made initial renovations to the store, the Fishman family put in an offer and wound up buying back the property and continuing the upgrading process.The store’s focus is on organic and store-made products, including prepared foods and condiments. Since the Fishmans have five children, they can understand the importance of an all-in-one store, and the Lincolnville General Store aims to be just that. The property also features an outdoor porch area, WiFi, and a brick oven pizza stop for residents to come and chat. They’ll also work with local businesses to ensure that they aren’t stepping on anyone’s toes, and are planning to break into groceries and delivery services for the elderly and handicapped townspeople. “Most markets don’t just sell their own stuff,” Briar told the Penobscot Bay Pilot back in 2016. “It takes the community to stock the shelves and we will be working with not only local farmers, but local bakers, local artisans and craftspeople.”Particularly with Phish toning down the scope of their famously extensive touring schedule this year, Fishman and his family have continued to make themselves an important part of the local Lincolnville community–and make Lincolnville just a little more special in the process.Congrats to Jon, Briar, and the town of Lincolnville on the new store!You can watch full footage of The Mallett Brothers Band’s performance at the opening of the Fishmans’ new Lincolnville General Store, featuring a sit-in from Jon Fishman himself, via the store’s Facebook page:Check out assorted videos and clips from the Lincolnville General Store Grand Re-Opening below via Instagram:
Share 406 Views one comment Sharing is caring! Share Persons wishing to take advantage of certificate and degree programmes in the evening can now register at the DSC’s Department of Continuing Education which has been relocated to the Bath Estate Campus.The DSC announced last week that the College has decided to reintroduce evening classes as of April 2012 in keeping with its goal towards lifelong learning development for citizens as well as several requests by employees in the working population group who are unable to attend classes during the day. Admissions Assistant at the Dominica State College, Daisy Rodney told Dominica Vibes News that the programmes which target the working population will enable the participants to achieve their education and will focus on several career specialties like plumbing and electric repairs.“We have a few evening classes that we would like to start. Two of them are degree programmes; Business Administration and Journalism &Mass Education. We also have certificate courses and some of them are Introduction to Business, Introduction to Economics, Quantity Surveying, Computer Hardware Repairs, QuickBooks, Speech Communication, Computer Office Applications and a few other courses”.Applicants are requirements to pay an application fee of $100.00 as well as submit a recent passport-sized photograph for admission into the certificate programmes. Rodney explained; “there are no specific criteria for entry into the certificate programmes, once you are in the field and you have a certain amount of experience then you can apply”.However for the Associate Degree Programme, applicants should have passes in “at least four CXC subjects” and submit a passport-sized photograph with their application form. Rodney is also available to assist applicants who may have “any issues surrounding CXC results” as the Department of Continuing Education will make every effort to assist these applicants.Rodney is hopeful that persons will embrace the opportunity to get qualified and certified in their respective career fields. She noted that these programs will assist persons to develop themselves therefore the cost of the program should not be a deterrent.“We want persons especially those working in that particular field to get themselves trained and certified in these areas. We know that during these hard economic times it is not always easy to get finances but if you think about it, it is for the betterment of yourselves. You will get qualified and certified in your area of work, so we are encouraging persons to apply.”Certification courses costs $300.00 plus a registration fee of $100.00 and will range from 13 to 15 weeks.Associate degree programmes will take between 3 to 4 years to complete, and prices vary. The prices for these programmes can be found on DSCs website at www.dsc.dm.Application forms for the programmes can be collected at the Department of Continuing Education Office which has been relocated at the Teachers Training School in Bath Estate or at the Admissions Office of the Dominica State College at the Stockfarm campus.Dominica State College Tweet EducationLocalNewsTertiary Registration now opened for DSC’s evening classes by: – March 6, 2012 Share
RelatedPosts Aguero could be out of action until November, Guardiola says UCL: Benfica kicked out by player who left club one week earlier + other results MultiChoice unveils sport channels, content line-up UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has said the single-game knockout format, used in the Champions League this year from the quarter-final onwards, has produced more exciting football than the usual two-legged games and could be revisited in the future.The format was changed in order to allow the competition to be completed in a shorter time-span after the COVID-19 pandemic halted play for several months across Europe in March. Eight clubs headed to Lisbon and the final was won by Bayern Munich on Sunday against Paris St Germain.“We were forced to do it but in the end we see that we found out something new. So we will think about it in the future for sure,” Ceferin told Reuters in an interview.The UEFA president said without a second-leg to fall back on, teams have been forced to go for goals.“(There has been) not so much tactics. If it is one match, if one team scores then the other has to score as soon as possible. If it is two legged system then there is still time to win the next match,” he said.“More exciting matches for sure but of course we also have to think about the fact that we have less matches and broadcasters (can) say ‘you don’t have as many matches as before, this is different’ so we will have to discuss when this crazy situation ends.” The “final eight” tournament took place without fans in stadiums and the prospect of supporters from eight clubs descending on one city could cause security issues among other logistical problems.The current format is locked in place contractually until 2024/2025 but discussions are due to begin later this year on the structure for the competition for the next phase.The tournament was played over 11 days and clearing space in the congested international calendar would be another obstacle to overcome but Ceferin is clearly intrigued by the possibilities.“Look for sure it is a very interesting format. Now, I doubt as much as the calendar is now, that we could do a final eight (tournament), because it would take too much time. But a format with one match and a system like it is now, I think it would be much more exciting than the format that was before,” he said.Reuters/NAN. Tags: Aleksander CeferinUEFAUEFA Champions League
The No. 1 USC women’s water polo team takes great pride in its defense, but Thursday’s 18-4 thrashing of unranked Long Beach State at McDonald’s Swim Stadium was a celebration of the Women of Troy’s offensive prowess.Quick fire · Senior utility Forel Davies had a hat trick by the time the first period ended on Thursday and finished the first half with five goals. – Gary Fung | Daily Trojan Facing Long Beach State for the third time this season, the Women of Troy (13-1, 2-0 MPSF) overpowered the helpless 49ers (7-13) on the offensive end of the pool. Led by senior utility Forel Davies, who scored six, USC totaled 10 scores in just the first 12 minutes of the contest. And as usual, USC coach Jovan Vavic was quick to credit the defense for the success.“Our defense was very good,” Vavic said. “We played very disciplined defense, we showed hands, and we didn’t commit any silly ejections. And then, we were able to convert our shots. Pretty simple.”But it was Davies who got the team on track in the early minutes. The senior, whose previous career high for single-game goals stood at three, recorded a hat trick within the first quarter alone to help ignite the rest of the offense.“Lately, I’ve been trying to play the game more than anything else,” Davies said. “I’m really just focusing on having fun and being patient. That really helped to calm me down and not be jittery early on.”But for USC, it wasn’t a one-woman show that powered them to a victory. In addition to Davies’ six goals, eight other players found a way to get on the scoreboard, including junior driver Joelle Bekhazi, who also netted a hat trick, including two in the second half.“I know this is cliché, but teamwork was a big part of the win,” Davies said. “We just try on focusing on setting each other up and being positive and happy when other people score.”Even with a lead in the early parts of the game, the Women of Troy refused to be complacent as the game wore on, scoring eight second-half goals to cap an impressive outing.“We stayed focused,” said Vavic on his team’s consistency throughout all four quarters. “The last couple of games, we didn’t play that great in the fourth quarter. So this was just a better performance throughout the entire game.”Balance remained one of the team’s strong suits against the 49ers, as the defense was seemingly as stifling as the offense was proficient. Facing an aggressive front, Long Beach State was unable to get on the scoreboard until the latter minutes of the first half when a Krizia Cerda shot snuck past USC senior goalie Tumua Amae.But it wouldn’t be until midway through the fourth quarter the 49ers would score again on Amae, who finished with 13 total saves.“We were focused, but [Long Beach State] is still a very young team,” Vavic said. “That youth showed today.”Even while notching yet another conference victory, the Women of Troy won’t be getting much rest anytime soon, as they are scheduled to face No. 14 San Diego State on Saturday at home. A win would mark their 12th straight in the season as they head toward the heart of Mountain Pacific Sports Federation play.San Diego State (16-10, 0-4) is coming off a disappointing loss to Hawai’i in which utility Amber Pezzolla contributed a hat trick, but the Aztecs were unable to muster enough to hang with the Rainbow Wahine.Pezzolla is the Aztec’s leading scorer with 42 goals on the season, and also leads the team in assists.Containing Pezzolla and getting past goalie Kelly Campoli will be key to any success the Women of Troy hope to have against the Aztecs.