RSF_en to go further News Organisation ColombiaAmericas August 17, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Grenade attack on provincial daily News Follow the news on Colombia Reports ColombiaAmericas April 27, 2021 Find out more RSF begins research into mechanisms for protecting journalists in Latin America News RSF, IFEX-ALC and Media Defence, support FLIP and journalist Diana Díaz against state harassment in Colombia 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies May 13, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders voiced outrage at a grenade attack on the premises of the El Informador daily newspaper in the northern city of Santa Marta on 15 August. The explosion caused considerable damage but no injuries.”This new attack confirms how dangerous it is for journalists to work in Colombia,” the press freedom organisation said. “We call on the local authorities to conduct a thorough investigation into this attack and we reiterate our request to the national authorities for measure to protect journalists, so that news reporting does not disappear in Colombia.”The grenade was thrown from a motorcycle in the evening, exploding near the main news office where four employees were working. Fortunately, none of them were injured, but El Informador editor Paulina Vives estimated the damage at more than 15 million pesos (about 5,000 euros).Vives said it was hard to guess the motives for the attack as neither the newspaper nor its journalists have received any prior threats.The Magdalena department police chief, Col. Fredy de Jesús Pacheco Escobar, said an investigation was under way to catch those responsible and establish their motives.Reporters Without Borders has registered at least seven physical attacks on Colombian news media since the start of the year, as well as 15 cases of physical attacks or kidnappings of journalists, or journalists being forced by threats to leave the region where they work. Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information October 21, 2020 Find out more
Email THE regional president for St Vincent de Paul in the Mid West is urging the government to reconsider the proposed water charges of €4.88 per 1000 litres due to fears that it will push already struggling families over the edge.The St Vincent de Paul (SVP) organisation says the charge – one of the highest in Europe – will have serious implications for low income families.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Michael Murphy, of SVP Mid West told the Limerick Post: “What we’re beginning to see is people in lower paid employment who are really struggling and who don’t get any benefits, and yet their income might only be marginally different to people who are on social welfare.“We’ve had extra charges such as the property tax and now we’re following this with the water rates, and these people will have to pay all these charges. They are in employment so there’s no way of avoiding it.”Mr Murphy remarked that the added burden on low income households “doesn’t do anything to encourage people to be in the workforce and to pay their way”.“There are people who are just about keeping their heads above water and they are being hit with more charges. This needs to be looked at again, because it’s being brought in in a hasty manner at the moment,” he added.The SVP is now calling on the government to revise the charges, with particular regard to people on minimum wage and in low-paid employment.Mr Murphy concluded: “Examples are being given that it’s being brought in to improve the situation where we’re losing up to 50 per cent of our water through a porous water system that has been underfunded by the State and it’s just not good enough that the people are being punished and made to pay for it.“So far, all we’ve seen is the enormous cost of setting up this operation. The money is not being spent on the infrastructure.” Previous articleWaiting for Millennium midnight hourNext articleSt Michael’s Rowing Club take to Limerick’s streets John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Facebook NewsWater charges will sink workersBy John Keogh – August 7, 2014 528 Irish Water defers introduction of new business charges during the Covid 19 emergency TAGSIrish WaterSociety of St Vincent de Paul Pictures reveal damage caused by wipes being flushed down Limerick’s loos RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print Advertisement Limerick customers to benefit from extension of Irish Water’s First Fix free scheme to tackle leaks Irish Water to replace old water mains on St Nessan’s Road WhatsApp Twitter Linkedin Update: Works underway to resolve discolouration of water in Raheen area Abbeyfeale water supply gets the all clear
One of the details still being hashed out is that INHS intends to set aside about 15% of the units for an as-yet-undetermined special needs group, with a few units for the formerly homeless, and a larger number for the special needs population. In the documents filed with the city, INHS states that is in talks with local special needs service providers and suggests housing for the developmentally disabled as one possibility. Whoever the segment is, the organization that provides services to them will also have office space on site in the former school. For those who attended that meeting, there is one difference made in the plans in response to community feedback — the original plan for five stories of housing in the reused and expanded school has now been reduced to four and is the same height as the Beverly J. Martin School next door. The south wing of the school would come down, and an all-new apartment building would connect to the renovated west wing of the school. The townhomes and single-family homes that surround the perimeter of the site, a mix of rental and for-sale housing, remain the same as before. Correction: While INHS is working with Esther Greenhouse, she is not a member of the project team. The Voice regrets the error. A preliminary estimate for the development is pegged at $21.2 million for the residential portions. The project timeline provided in the filing states that the sale of the two-acre site will close in April. The project team hopes to have the IURA’s $350,000 committed this year, along with project approval and its state grant funding application towards the end of the fall. If grant funding is awarded by New York State in April 2020, the project would begin construction in November 2020 and be completely finished by February 2022. Funding for the project will come from a combination of conventional bank financing, state affordable housing grants, and what INHS hopes to be a $100,000 contribution from the county’s affordable housing fund and a $350,000 contribution from federal Housing and Urban Development funds awarded to the city via the Ithaca Urban Renewal Agency. On a closing note, for those interested in contributing their input regarding the proposal, the next community meeting will be at the GIAC at 301 West Court Street from 5-7 p.m. on March 28th. Questions and feedback can also be emailed to Justina Fetterly, INHS’s Strategic Communications Manager, at [email protected] Before you jump to the Facebook comments section to ask what affordable means, here’s the breakdown. Eight units would be for those making 30% area median income or less (AMI, which is $17,700/year for a single person, $20,220/year for a two-person household). Twenty-five units would be priced between 30 and 50% AMI, 25 more units would be priced at 50-60% AMI, and thirteen units would be priced at 60-90% AMI. Prices for the for-sale homes are not stated, but in previous projects, INHS has aimed for 80-90% AMI with homebuyers. Brian Crandall Brian Crandall reports on housing and development for the Ithaca Voice. He can be reached at [email protected] More by Brian Crandall Since the project is still in the early stages, it’s important to note that details like building designs, the exact number of affordable housing units and the number of bedrooms in each unit are liable to change. as the project goes through further community meetings. Once a design is thoroughly hashed out, the proposal will then pay a trip to the city Common Council for Planned Unit Development (PUD) zoning, and onward to the Planning Board. Unit sizes break down to six studio units, 37 one-bedroom units, 17 two-bedroom units, 10 three-bedroom units, and one four-bedroom unit (the breakdown of prices per unit, with expected rents, can be found here). Although they don’t tend to be in as high demand, INHS sought to include a few larger units at the community’s request to see larger units sizes compatible with families. The size of the for-sale housing is not given, but if we rely on previous examples once again, expect two-bedroom and three-bedroom units in the 1100-1300 square-foot range. Tagged: affordable housing, immaculate conception school, immaculate conception site, INHS, Ithaca Neighborhood Housing Services, mixed-use, STREAM Collaborative, SWBR Architects With that disclaimer noted, the current proposal has 71 affordable rental units and four affordable for-sale homes. INHS is exploring ways to increase the number of for-sale units and acknowledges that higher construction costs may decrease the number of rentals. Back in January, local non-profit affordable housing developer Ithaca Neighborhood Housing Services (INHS) was named as the preferred bid to buy the former school from the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester. INHS shared concept plans for the site at a community meeting last month. Alongside INHS on the project team are architecture firms STREAM Collaborative, and SWBR Architects of Rochester. Environmental site analysis is being performed by Seeler Engineering P.C. INHS has identified a potential general contractor, but the firm is not named in the city document. ITHACA, N.Y. — Documents filed with the City of Ithaca this week are providing the first detailed look at the plans for the redevelopment of the former Immaculate Conception School on the 300 Block of West Buffalo Street. In addition, at least 5% of the project’s rental units will be designed to be fully accessible, which is housing designed to allow those with disabilities to live independently in housing design to accommodate their needs. For that endeavor, INHS will rely on the expertise of Esther Greenhouse, a “nationally-recognized environmental gerontologist” and specialist in “enabling design”. The project will also host a non-profit commercial office component. The Catholic Charities building at 324 West Buffalo Street, which dates from the 1920s, will be renovated and continue to serve as the home for the organization. INHS states that it is in talks with three other non-profits interested in space in the basement and first floor of the renovated west wing of the school. Meanwhile, the old ICS Gymnasium will be detached to the school and sold to the City of Ithaca, which will renovate the gymnasium for use by the Greater Ithaca Activities Center (GIAC).
SUBSCRIBE TO US Gerrit Cole is ‘The Guy’ in the MLB now. According to reports in the US, he has signed a nine-year contract reportedly worth $324 million with the New York Yankees. It’s quite unsurprising that many would be hoping to be present when Cole makes his debut for the Yankees next season. One apparent fan who has confirmed her presence is World Series Flasher – Julia Cole.Also Read | MLB Trade Rumours: Anthony Rendon Inks Whopping $245 Million Deal With Los Angeles Angels Gerrit Cole making history Gerrit Cole signed the richest contract ever for an MLB pitcher … and it’s not even close 💰 pic.twitter.com/ZQLG5pIF6j— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) December 11, 2019 COMMENT LIVE TV Written By Gerrit Cole’s recent deal trumps the $245 million, seven-year contract Stephen Strasburg signed just a day prior to remain with the Washington Wizards. The 29-year-old is now the highest-paid player in MLB history earning around $36 million every year. The pitcher had a dominant 2019 with the Houston Astros which helped him earn the longest contract for any pitcher in the last two decades.Also Read | Gerrit Cole Deal: 4 Largest Contracts In MLB History By Average Annual ValueJulia Rose to support Gerrit ColeGerrit Cole’s debut will surely be a major attraction in the MLB next season. And as per the schedule released by MLB, New York Yankees will travel to Baltimore on the ‘Opening Day’. World Series Flasher Julia Rose has confirmed her presence by stating that she’d like to be present to show some support for Gerrit Cole.Also Read | MLB Trade Rumours: New York Yankees Trying To Make Room For Cole? J.A. Happ Exit LoomsJulia Rose has quite some history with Gerrit Cole and the MLB. She was one of the two women (along with Lauren Summer) who flashed Cole during the 2019 World Series. They were apparently showing support for breast cancer in the most outlandish way possible. Both the ladies were subsequently banned by the MLB. So it is but obvious that Julia Rose won’t be allowed to enter the stadium. It’s nevertheless a sweet gesture by Rose. Also Read | MLB Trade Rumours: Gerrit Cole Deal Could Have Domino Effect On Other Free Agent Moves Sujay Chakraborty Last Updated: 12th December, 2019 18:05 IST MLB: World Series Flasher Julia Rose To Attend Gerrit Cole’s Yankees Debut? World Series flasher Julia Rose is apparently eager to be present and support Gerrit Cole when he makes his debut for the New York Yankees on March 26, 2020. God bless this woman https://t.co/VfXw2Nqti3— Uncle Ronnie (@RonnieMeatballs) December 12, 2019 FOLLOW US WATCH US LIVE First Published: 12th December, 2019 18:05 IST