Two photographers arrested during inaugural clashes freed after eight days

first_img May 13, 2021 Find out more to go further 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies RSF_en News May 5, 2021 Find out more Organisation December 10, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Two photographers arrested during inaugural clashes freed after eight days Follow the news on Mexico Press photographers Mircea Topoleanu and Brandon Daniel Bazán were finally released yesterday after being held since their arrests while covering major clashes between police and demonstrators in Mexico City during President Enrique Peña Nieto’s swearing-in on 1 December.They were freed along with 54 of the other 69 people arrested during the inauguration-day clashes. The authorities have dropped the public disorder charges on which they were all being held, which carried a possible sentence of five to 30 years in prison.“We obviously welcome the decision to abandon proceedings against most of those arrested on 1 December,” Reporters Without Borders said. “But the release of the photographers must not eclipse the fact that the president’s inauguration was marred by the use of heavy-handed police methods to suppress the right to demonstrate and, in some cases, the right to report the news. “A full investigation must be carried out into these events, in particular, the cases of torture reported by the Federal District Human Right Commission.”A 32-year-old Romanian citizen employed by the magazine Voices Mexico, Topoleanu was watching the heavy-handed arrest of a young protester when the police suddenly turned on him, hit him, threw him to the ground and took his equipment. He was then taken to police station No. 50, where he was denied any contact with a lawyer or his embassy and was transferred to Reclusorio Norte prison two days later. Bazán, a 19-year-old photographer with the magazine Café MX, was arrested while taking photos of a group of young people marching peacefully, who were also arrested. Like Topoleanu, he was held in the Reclusorio Norte.______________04.12.12 – Call for release of two journalists arrested during inauguration protestsJournalists were among the many victims when police and protesters clashed violently during President Enrique Peña Nieto’s inauguration in Mexico City on 1 December, resulting in more than 80 arrests and leaving around 20 people seriously injured.Those arrested including two photographers – Mircea Topoleanu, a 32-year-old Romanian freelancer, and Brandon Daniel Bazán, a freelancer working for the magazine Café MX. They are still being held in the city’s Reclusorio Norte prison.Topoleanu’s sister Ana, who also lives in Mexico, told Reporters Without Borders: “My brother was transferred to prison yesterday. He still has not had access to an individual lawyer. We hope the situation evolves today.” Bazán has already been charged with disturbing the peace, which could mean a prison sentence.“We call for the immediate release of Topoleanu and Bazán, whose only crime was to have done their job amid considerable political tension directly linked to the controversy about the 1 July presidential election,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Denying access to an individual lawyer is a violation of their constitutional rights and is in itself sufficient grounds for dismissing these proceedings, which are in any case quite absurd.“We condemn the violence against journalists regardless of who was responsible. What took place on 1 December should also be a warning for the federal government, which is already being contested although only just installed. The question now is what guarantees will fundamental freedoms be given during the next six years in a country with such an appalling human rights record?”The demonstrations began at about 5 a.m. near the Chamber of Deputies in San Lázaro Palace, where Nieto was sworn in for a six-year term. The protests then spread to the old city around the Zócalo Square, where there many clashes between police and demonstrators.“I was taking photos near the Chamber of Deputies when I heard someone fire a teargas grenade behind me, from where the police were,” Excelsior photographer Quetzallí González told Reporters Without Borders. “I turned to look and was hit by a fragment in my left cheek, near my eye. Activists looked after me until the ambulance arrived. Then I went back to work.”A photographer with the magazine Milenio, Ana Cecilia Méndez, was injured on the head by a teargas grenade while two other Milenio photographers, Alejandro González and Martin Salas, were beaten. Protesters took Reuters photographer Bernardo Montoya’s motorcycle and immediately set fire to it in the street.The victims of violence, in many cases blamed on the police, included Christopher Rogel of the newspaper El Universal, Oscar Balderas of the magazine ADN Político, Paris Martinez of the magazine Animal Político, community radio reporter Alejandro Pacheco, Pedro Anza of Agencia Cuartoscuro and Efekto TV cameraman Osvaldo Muller. Some media buildings were also the targets of vandalism. The entrances to the Excelsior and Universal buildings were covered with graffiti while a group of demonstrators ransacked the entrance to Efekto TV.Read also the blog post on Huffington Post Help by sharing this information center_img Reports Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state News Receive email alerts MexicoAmericas NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say News MexicoAmericas April 28, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Woman arrested as men released over Christy Keane attempted murder

first_imgAdvertisement Linkedin Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up TWO men arrested for questioning over the attempted murder of Limerick drug dealer Christy Keane have been released without charge after spending seven days in Garda custody.However a woman in her 30s remains in garda custody after she was arrested on Tuesday night.Keane, (55) was shot a number of times in the car park of the University of Limerick Sports Arena on June 25 last in an early morning hit that resulted in two getaway cars being burned out in a nearby estate near where Keane’s younger brother Kieran was murdered in 2003.Five men, Desmond Dundon, of Hyde Road; David “Frogs Eyes” Stanners, of Pineview Gardens, Moyross; James McCarthy, of Delmege Park, Moyross; Christopher “Smokie” Costelloe, of Moylish Avenue, Ballynanty Beg and Anthony “Noddy” McCarthy, of Fairgreen, Garryowen were all jailed for life after they were convicted of murdering Kieran Keane and for the attempted murder of Owen Treacy.Nine arrests have been made in connection with the attempted murder of Christy Keane and Gardaí made three applications before special sittings of Limerick District Court to extend the periods of detention for two men who were arrested last Tuesday week.A third man in his 50s, who was also arrested last Tuesday, was later released without charge.Christy Keane was left in a critical condition after he suffered a number of gunshot wounds.Gardai are continuing to investigate a line of inquiry that a hand gun used by one of the would-be assassins jammed as Keane got ready to go to the University Arena gym around 6.40am.Chief Superintendent Dave Sheahan said that the investigation was being carried out “expeditiously”.On Tuesday night, the two men from the Northside of the city, were released without charge.Gardai say that the preparation of a file for the Director of Public Prosecutions is continuing but they are now focusing their investigation on the questioning of the woman in her 30s who was arrested on the northside of the city.The woman can be detained for a period of 72 hours. Facebook Email Twittercenter_img Print NewsBreaking newsWoman arrested as men released over Christy Keane attempted murderBy Staff Reporter – February 24, 2016 1188 WhatsApp Previous articleHomeless thief robbed wheelchair userNext article#GE16 – You ask the questions – part 3 Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ielast_img read more

Increase borrower satisfaction through payment convenience

first_imgImagine a world where ‘It got lost in the mail’ is no longer a viable excuse for late or missed payments. Not only is payment processing an essential operation for any business, it is also a point of contact that directly correlates with customer satisfaction. If there was a way to increase borrower satisfaction by tweaking your payments process to a more convenient model, would you buy in?Companies in every industry have had to adapt to growing consumer expectations for financial interactions that are fast, easy, and secure. Experiences with online retail firms like Amazon have conditioned consumers to expect a seamless payment process where debit or credit cards can be used with the click of a button from any device—or even activated through voice commands. That retail experience has evolved into strong payment preferences that have influenced how consumers want to manage their loan payments.Both consumers and servicers benefit when servicers offer debit card payment options. For consumers it’s easier, instant, convenient, and cheaper, resulting in a positive user experience. Since people typically have their debit cards on hand, it’s easier to make a payment on the go rather than trying to recall a routing or account number. For collections servicers, for example, a study conducted by Visa found that implementing payment by debit in collections cut 80% from customer call times— an incredible savings of time and resources. Millennials, the largest generation at more than 75 million, 78% have shown a definite preference for debit cards. Providing them with an easy, seamless bill-paying experience is an opportunity to build relationships with a cohort that has less entrenched loyalties to name brand lenders or servicers—and a long runway for financial service needs. continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more