Previous articleBig freeze sees only six remainNext articleMembers sought by musical society admin Pipe bomb accused back in courtAPPEARING via video link at a sitting of Limerick District Court, 24-year-old William O’Dwyer will reappear on January 13 next when he will be formally serviced with the book of evidence relating to drugs and explosive charges before the court.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up O’Dwyer of Richmond Court, Mount Kennett Place, was questioned by gardai after he presented himself at the station and was charged with the possession of a pipe bomb in October of last year. The gardai allegedly caught a teenage girl carrying the ‘live’ explosive device in St Mary’s Park. Inspector Gerry Horan told the court that the file had been sent to the DPP on December 22 last, and they were awaiting the directions.Judge Aeneas McCarthy noted that “time had been running” in relation to the charges and adjourned the matter for two weeks and marked the case pre-emptory against the state for production of the Book of Evidence in relation to the charge contrary to Section 4 of the Explosive Substance Act 1883. Judge McCarthy also noted that O’Dwyer be returned to court on the same date to deal with other outstanding matters before the court. O’Dwyer was remanded back in custody to Limerick Prison. Twitter WhatsApp Facebook Advertisement Print NewsLocal NewsNews from the courtsBy admin – January 7, 2010 1019 Man to be served book of evidence on robbery chargeA HANDBAG thief will be formally served with the book of evidence relating to a robbery in the city last month.Michael Power, Fairgreen, Ballysimon, who is currently serving a 10 month sentence for a handbag snatch last year, was ordered to be presented in court on January 13 by Judge Aeneas McCarthy. Power appeared via video link from Limerick Prison and, following an earlier failed application for bail, was remanded in custody on these charges.The 27-year-old is alleged to have snatched a handbag from an elderly lady at St Michael’s Church on Denmark Street, and gardai had earlier objected to the courts granting bail as under Section 2 of the Bail Act 1997. Linkedin Email Man arrested in possession of knifeA NINETEEN-year-old man appeared at Limerick District Court following his arrest on December 29 last in Limerick City, after gardai found him in possession of a knife and cannabis resin.Martin Morey, with an address of 10 Collins Avenue, was charged by garda Yohan Hunt with possession of the knife contrary to Section 9 (1) of the firearms and offensive weapons act 1990. Giving details in court, garda Hunt outlined that the accused made no reply when formally charged. The arresting officer also noted that an existing bench warrant was outstanding for the accused man in relation to Section 24 (3) of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 of giving a false or misleading name when questioned by gardai. Inspector Gerry Horan said that the state would consent to bail on the basis that a €200 cash lodgement be made. Judge Aeneas McCarthy remanded the accused in custody, with consent to bail, to appear again in court later this week. Murder accused remanded in custodyDRESSED in a blue and white tracksuit and appearing via video link to Limerick District Court, Kenneth Collopy, charged with the murder of Daniel Fitzgerald at Cloughdromin, Ballysimon, on December 8 of last year, was remanded back in to custody to Limerick Prison as the gardai finalise preparations of the Book of Evidence relating to the 24-year-old’s death. Inspector Gerry Horan sought a two week adjournment but the defence solicitor John Herbert, consented to a further 28 day remand. 19-year-old Collopy will be present in court on January 27 next when the book of evidence will be formally serviced. The accused made no reply during the three minute court sitting.
Much of the forecast deficit comes from massive stimulus spending designed to keep the economy afloat and prevent a full-blown economic depression. The government has rolled out around Aus$289 billion in economic stimulus to cushion the country from the virus fallout, Frydenberg said, including support for workers, businesses and retirees.Unemployment – currently at a two-decade high of 7.4 percent – is expected to peak at 9.3 percent in December.The Australian dollar dipped 0.3 percent Thursday, while shares on the S&P/ASX 200 were flat.However, the government is predicting a quick recovery with the economy returning to growth in the third quarter as easing virus restrictions bring increased activity.Frydenberg also predicted GDP would grow 2.5 percent in 2021, partially based on the assumption that international borders would open from January 1.Australia has recorded more than 13,000 cases of COVID-19 and 133 deaths from the virus.The government is expected to deliver its budget in full in October, while economic growth figures are released in September.Topics : Officials said gross domestic product would contract 7 percent in April-June, pushing the economy into recession for the first time in nearly three decades.A recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of contraction and the economy shrank 0.3 percent in the previous three months.Treasurer Josh Frydenberg also said the budget deficit would blow out to Aus$185 (US$132) billion – almost a tenth of GDP – in the year to June 30, 2021, having hit Aus$86 billion in the previous 12 months.”These harsh numbers reflect the harsh reality we face,” Frydenberg said. “The economic outlook remains very uncertain.” Australia warned on Thursday that its economy will shrink at its fastest pace in history during the second quarter, while the budget deficit will be the biggest since the Second World War as the country battles to contain the impact of the coronavirus.The government has stumped up tens of billions of dollars to fight the pandemic, which has ravaged global trade and forced the shutdown of much of the country earlier in the year, crippling the economy.The reimposition of a six-week lockdown on five million people in Melbourne, the second-biggest city, has added to the struggles for a country already reeling from a prolonged drought and massive bushfires before the disease struck.
The No. 7 USC men’s volleyball team will travel to Utah this spring break, as it visits No. 4 Brigham Young University for back-to-back games March 19 and 20.The Trojans (10-7, 8-6) have the same record as the Cougars. Both are tied for fifth with Hawai’i in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, but they are only two games behind conference leader Stanford.This will be the second set of back-to-back games against the same opponent for USC. The Trojans split a pair against No. 8 Hawai’i at the Galen Center earlier this week.After enduring a stretch from late January to early March when they lost five out of seven games, the Trojans have won two of the last three and look to be regaining the form they had when they were the No. 1 team in the country earlier this season.The Trojans have improved their passing and blocking since that losing streak but are still struggling in the first set of each match. The team has lost nine out of its last 10 first sets and recognizes that it needs to come out with more energy to avoid putting itself in that quick 1-0 hole.“This is our trend. We need to figure that out because it’s a problem. But once we figure it out we should do OK,” junior setter Riley McKibbin said after the Hawai’i game Tuesday.The break will give the Trojans some much needed time to string multiple practices together. They were limited in fall practices because of three players who participated in the U.S. Junior National team and the world championships in late August, and two other players were injured.Combined with the fact that many of the Trojans’ games earlier in the season were on Wednesdays and Fridays, USC did not have a lot of time to work on areas that need improvement.BYU will play two games in the Long Beach State Active Ankle Tournament against No. 9 Penn State and St. Francis before heading home to face the Trojans.Coming into the Long Beach tournament, the Cougars have won three of their last six games and are the top blocking team in the MPSF, averaging 3.27 per game. That is .33 more blocks per game than the second-place team.