Home Local News Council debate on changes centers on geographic representation Twitter Previous article68-year-old woman charged with burglaryNext articleTrustees eye goals, progress on IR campuses admin RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR By admin – January 23, 2018 2021 SCHOOL HONORS: Permian High School OC employee of the year always learning WhatsApp Odessa City Council members continued to debate the merits of adding a new at-large council member and giving the mayor a vote on Tuesday but focused their concerns on geographical representation on the board as a May special election on the changes appears increasingly likely. Absent was much of the acrimony that marked a previous debate over the issue this month, where council members traded barbs with citizens who came to speak and complained about Odessa’s eastern growth. There was some contention — District 5 Councilman Filiberto Gonzales at one point accused the chief proponent of the council changes, Jim Rector, of “misleading the whole community with your opinion.”But Rector had argued just that the proposal was “the most effective way to give our citizens representation at this time,” even if the next census may bring further changes such as new single-member districts. Three council members had combined in December to shoot down a request to call a special election — Gonzales, District 1 Councilman Malcolm Hamilton and District 3 Councilwoman Barbara Graff. The trio had also faced criticism after a string of controversial decisions last year such as the sacking of the city manager and scuttling of an incentive package for an oilfield equipment supplier that ultimately went to Midland.On Tuesday, Gonzales and Graff said they could support adding representatives to the City Council but favored the lengthier process of adding two new members representing single districts or simply waiting until the next census in 2020.“I think the city has grown enough to merit that we need to make a change,” Gonzales said. But he continued to question the “intent” behind the latest proposal and maintained his stance that it would favor Odessa’s wealthier east side. If the petition drive succeeds and voters sign off on the proposal, the council would become a seven-member board with a mayor and council member elected by voters citywide. The remaining five single-district positions would remain.But passage of the proposal may also face federal scrutiny — something supporters argue it would withstand because it would not dilute minority voting strength.A group formed to oppose the proposal, Odessa Together, which includes members of minority voting rights groups, argues the new seven-member board would illegally dilute the strength of Hispanic voters. The group also threatened to challenge the changes in court.Gonzales lent his support to that group but said he disagreed with the argument about racial vote dilution. Gonzales floated the idea of asking voters to consider adding two-single member districts, although its unclear how that would work if the petition drive succeeds because the City Council could not vote to alter that proposal if it’s taken to voters. District 2 Councilman Dewey Bryant said he disagreed. “I oppose it because we have a petition out in the city today by the citizens that’s being signed there,” Bryant said. “And I’m for that.”District 4 Councilman Mike Gardner also supports the proposed changes but was absent Tuesday.One of the founders of Odessa Together, Art Leal, encouraged the City Council on Tuesday to seek a federal review of the new elections system before calling the election, which a successful petition would compel them to call under state law. “This so-called bypass action that we all know as a petition has not taken away your ability to govern the city,” said Leal, a past chairman of Una Voz Unida, a group aimed at increasing Hispanic political participation that he founded after losing a mayoral race in 2008. “You each have a responsibility to the city to protect it from all liability and loss.”Hamilton and Graff have argued the proposed changes would be discriminatory, with Hamilton calling them “racist.”On Tuesday, Graff argued that single-member districts better represent distinct areas of the city and that an at-large representative is “not going to do a very good job of representing all five of those districts.” “You need to know and understand your district,” Graff said. “You need to know what the people need. You can’t do that with at-large.”Hamilton repeated previous arguments that the change is being sought by “spoiled individuals wanting to get their way or have their way. And now all of a sudden things are not being rubber stamped.” “I think it’s wrong,” Hamilton said. “However, as Mr. Bryant has said: It’s a political process. So if they’ve signed this petition then the thing is, let’s get the voters out and let’s have them vote on this thing. I really do feel that. Regardless Odessa will move forward.” Local News Council debate on changes centers on geographic representation WhatsApp Odessa City Hall will be doing mostly cosmetic renovations to update to a more modern look. Facebook Smoked Bacon Wrapped French Vidalia OnionCreamy Fruit SaladFruit Salad to Die ForPowered By 10 Sec Mama’s Deviled Eggs NextStay Facebook Pinterest Twitter ECISD undergoing ‘equity audit’ Pinterest
The Wonder Wheel in Coney Island (Getty)An excursion synonymous with summer in New York City is back.Coney Island’s iconic amusement park will reopen today as its famous Wonder Wheel starts turning, the Brooklyn Paper reported.“It’s exciting, but at the same time, we know that we have a responsibility to open safely. And that responsibility comes before anything else,” DJ Vourderis, whose family has operated Deno’s Wonder Wheel Amusement Park since his grandfather Deno bought it in 1983, told the publication.The park will require thrill seekers to take some precautions, such as wearing masks and social distancing, while it operates at 33 percent capacity, and only on the weekends until Memorial Day, after which it will open daily through Labor Day.ADVERTISEMENTSoon it will feature a new roller coaster named Phoenix to symbolize the park’s rebirth after the pandemic.The $12 million investment, split between land acquisition and construction, might open before this year’s season ends.Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced more than a month ago that outdoor amusement parks could reopen beginning April 9 at reduced capacity. Guests can reserve a time online to enter the park.Luna Park, another Coney Island amusement park, put its $20 million expansion on ice when Covid descended on the city early last year. The expansion included plans for winter attractions.Last year Luna Park began negotiating with the city for a lease extension through 2040, which it believes would help it endure, if not become a year-round attraction.The Vourderis family said it will maintain its annual “Blessing of the Rides” tradition to open its park, with civic leaders and local residents gathering for a ribbon-cutting. The family plans to honor health care workers at the ceremony, which will double as the park’s 100-year anniversary celebration.“We would like health care workers to be the first ones on the Wonder Wheel,” DJ told the local publication.The park turned 100 years old last year, but no celebration was held because of the pandemic.[Brooklyn Paper] — Orion Jones brooklynconey islandCoronavirus Share via Shortlink Tags Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedinShare via Email Share via Shortlink
The Portuguese playmaker is in self-isolation along with the rest of the United squad due to the COVID-19 outbreak.But there is plenty of joy for Bruno in these trying times, as he and his partner Ana Pinho are welcoming their new boy into the world.The two already have a daughter, Matilde, and took to Instagram to announce Ana’s pregnancy.The caption along with the photograph read: “A boy on the way.”Read Also:Pogba ‘wants new Man Utd deal’ thanks to Bruno FernandesFernandes has been a shining light for United since signing in January from Sporting CP, winning the Premier League Player of the Month award for February.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentPortuguese Street Artist Creates Hyper-Realistic 3D Graffiti5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical10 Risky Jobs Some Women DoWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your BodyBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made8 Weird Facts About Coffee That Will Surprise You14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now Loading… Manchester United star Bruno Fernandes has announced he is expecting his second child.Advertisement
“By December, I was ready to play baseball,” Kent said. In other words, the notoriously dour Kent, who has ridden his admittedly indifferent attitude toward the game to what probably is a Hall of Fame career, has a new attitude now that his bothersome left oblique finally has had enough time to properly heal. He was smiling broadly as he entered the Dodgers clubhouse, shaking hands with teammates along the way. Last spring, Kent signed a one-year, $11.5 million extension that will kick in this season. At the time, he was asked if it would be his final pro contract. He didn’t really answer definitely then, either. But the complicated deal carries a $7 million club option for next season, with a $500,000 buyout, or a $9 million vesting option if Kent has 550 plate appearances this year. Changing colors Dodgers first baseman Nomar Garciaparra said club officials have told him there is a plan to change the color of the Dodger Stadium dugout club seats behind home plate in an attempt to prevent injuries and unnecessary fielding errors. VERO BEACH, Fla. – Dodgers second baseman Jeff Kent said Wednesday he has yet to decide whether he will retire after the upcoming season. He also said he doesn’t know when he will make that decision and that until he does, he has no interest in discussing it. “Last year, I talked about that a lot,” Kent said. “This year, I won’t, and maybe that is a telltale sign that it might be (his last year).” Kent then covered his bets by seeming to suggest he will return in 2008. The last Dodgers player to report to spring training, he said that after an injury-plagued 2006 in which he twice went on the disabled list, he began looking forward to the next season earlier than ever. Last year, the seats were a pale yellow color. Consequently, infielders routinely lost the path of the ball after it left the pitcher’s hand because it blended into the scenery. “I think they’re going to go to kind of a teal green,” Garciaparra said. “They asked me about it, and that was great of them to do that. The organization listened to what we were saying. They wanted to do it right.” Changing minds Dodgers manager Grady Little said earlier this week that he had decided who his leadoff man was but that he wouldn’t announce it until after meeting with Rafael Furcal. That seemed to be an indication that Furcal would drop to the No. 2 spot behind newly signed center fielder Juan Pierre. But on Wednesday, Little said he had changed his mind and was withholding judgement. “To be honest, I find myself changing from one morning to the next,” Little said. “So I’m not going to make a decision until I am dead set that it’s the way I want to go.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!